The Senior Process Engineer position is a technical leadership position within a team of chemical engineers supporting the hydropower area.
The focus of this position is mid-term support of the operations (24/7) organization through project development, unit health monitoring, LP support, modeling support, short term operation troubleshooting support (as needed) and senior technical leadership within the hydroprocessing engineering team onsite.
The primary goal for the Senior Process Engineer is to support unit operation through the availability of accurate optimization tools and a project portfolio to create the most value from the complex assets.
In addition to this primary role the Senior Process Engineer has technical accountabilities in the areas of process safety, compliance, optimization, project economics, operations, and new engineer development.
This position along with the Process Engineering Superintendent provides both the technical and administrative leadership for the Area Process Engineering Team. This position will be based at the Whiting Refinery
- Supports operations through development and maintenance of area models, mass balances, Safe Operating Limits, Critical alarms, and other tools used by the complex.
- Supports the development of operations personnel through coaching/mentoring and follow-up on requests for support and information.
- Supports the operating complex through the development of a project portfolio for the area. This includes driving continuous improvement in the area of Process Safety.
- Provides technical support to the complex in the form of troubleshooting, data analysis, and incident investigation as required to support the operating complex.
- Mentors and coaches area process engineers on technical and leadership aspects of their job.
Process Safety and Compliance:
- Evaluate hydropower operations with respect to process safety and technical practices in order to identify gaps, drive improvements, and provide input into the risk register
- Provide input into project design and major system modification
- Support Process Hazards Analyses in order to mitigate operational risk
- Support and develop unit heat and material balances to support and maintain unit RV studies
- Works with area process engineers to ensure process changes to the unit are appropriately incorporated into unit SOL, SDL and NOLs
- Assist in significant process incident investigations in order to help identify root causes and define future preventative measures
- Reference and provide input into unit process safety information as needed to ensure safe and compliant operations.
- Support projects to expand/improve unit capabilities by providing process expertise as required
- Use unit and process knowledge to identify and prioritize TAR/Maintenance/new projects work list items to improve unit performance
- Plan performance tests, manage sample schedules, analyze results. And make recommendation to tune process models and define unit constraints
- Collaborate with Production Planning and Commercial Development teams and initiatives to develop and optimize profitability in near and long term planning
- Own and maintain unit process models for tuning planning tools and operating scenario evaluations
- Assist site LP assurance process through routine use of LP versus actual tracking tools and perform LP re-tuning when needed
- Participate in internal/external shared learning opportunities to benchmark and drive improvement in unit performance
- Own and maintain unit health monitoring process and tools in order to identify unit availability and economic concerns
Process Economics and Operations:
- Coach and assist operations and area process engineers during unit start-up and shutdowns to provide technical oversight
- Consult with Operations Team as required for opportunity identification and constraint management
- Develop and maintain tools (i.e. process simulations, hydraulic models, etc..) for Process Engineer’s optimization and troubleshooting activities
- Provide input to technically complex process procedures
Process Technical Mentor:
- Document process knowledge, train and provide tools for area process engineering support/replacement/backfill to ensure operational support is maintained
- Provide unit process knowledge to other refinery groups to improve systemic understanding of refinery operation and inter-unit dependencies to enhance site-wide troubleshooting and system optimization
- Mentor engineers as necessary to generate talent for the organization
- Bachelor’s of Science in Chemical Engineeringpreferred
- Professional Engineering (PE) license a plus
- Process engineeringexperience at a Refinery or petrochemical plant is preferred
Essential experience and job requirements
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in Process Engineering roles preferably in a refinery environment or production facility, OR equivalent experience and skill development in a different role.
- Subject matter expertise in one of the areas primary processes (Hydrotreating, Reforming, Isomerization) is beneficial
- Good computer skills including EXCEL.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements.
Req ID 85452BR..