Provide technical and process systems leadership across LP for manufacturing process systems to improve safety, performance and asset utilization. Assist cross-functional teams through project scope development, interpretation of audit results, leadership in compliance and best practice with a focus on specialized process systems. Provide leadership and direction for major capital projects/programs in alignment with a Business Line’s strategic initiative. Manage projects of special process system and/or technical scope. Supervise engineering staff where applicable and assist in the overall technical development of LP Engineering personnel.
- Provide senior level technical leadership for LP through support of capital projects and reliability initiatives in areas of specialty systems and process. These include thermal oil systems, hydraulic systems, fire protection, dust control and collection systems, mass and energy balance, process (particularly in relation to equipment application), and others.
- Support safety and asset management through understanding, application, and guidance to engineering and projects teams on safety and compliance requirements.
- Take a lead role in the development, delivery and interpretation of process hazard analysis for various infrastructure and process systems.
- Assist Project Managers and others in the development of technical aspects of project scoping, equipment standards, and LP standards and procedures in areas of specialty systems and processes.
- Provide leadership regarding the planning and execution of major capital projects or technology programs including: technical feasibility evaluations, detailed engineering design, procurement efforts, negotiating, development & management, strategy, installation, start-up support and commissioning.
- Ensure project development and execution is in compliance with LP’s design standards, industry & professional standards, local, state and federal codes and regulations.
- Supervise and manage assigned staff; recruit, train, coach, and evaluate performance.
- Conduct training for engineering and other personnel in the areas of technical and process systems.
- Participate as a sponsor or team member in leading functional process improvement within the company.
- Assume responsibility for personal safety and for the safety performance of all personnel, projects and programs managed.
- Work closely with other Corporate Functions including Supply Management, Audit, Financial Services, Environmental Services and Information Technology to assure conformance with corporate policy
- Conduct special projects/studies, as opportunities arise, relating to technology and capital effectiveness
- Moderate to heavy travel requiring a flexible is required
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience as a practicing professional (5 associated with major project work) in one or more of the following fields; engineering, capital project management, and manufacturing.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, review, installation and operation of specialty systems as listed above.
- The ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken form, and to succinctly discuss complex technical systems to non-experts.
- Or any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position
- Possess excellent working knowledge of computer applications including; word processing, financial management systems and project scheduling software (MS Word, Excel & Project)
- Knowledge of building products industry, equipment, and processes
- The ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- The ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- BS/MS in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license or eligibility required
- BS equivalency: 6-8 years discipline experience
- MS equivalency: 4-6 years engineering management experience.