Senior Principal R&D Engineer See More
Careers that Change Lives
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
As a Sr Principal R&D Engineer, you will design and develop life-saving medical device products. Key responsibilities include leading new product development, conducting product testing and creating models and prototypes. You will actively seek out Voice of the Customer (VOC) input and translate that into product requirements and design specifications, and perform clinical and preclinical assessments. You will work under general direction and may serve as key functional core team member and/or technical leadership role in an extended team. The product focus will be on neurovascular devices.
Day in the life:
- Plans, directs and implements all aspects of design and development of new medical device products.
- Leads the investigation and evaluation of existing and new technologies.
- Guides the conceptualization of new methodologies, processes, and products.
- Directs the development of new concepts from initial design to market release.
- Monitors documentation maintenance throughout all phases of research and development.
- Organizes the coordination of activities with outside suppliers and consultants to ensure timely delivery.
- Design and redesign medium to high complexity Neurovascular medical devices and subsystems.
- Test and optimize the design by designing and conducting relevant experiments and evaluations including numerical verification.
- Participate and lead pre-clinical in vivo labs, observing cases in hospitals and through planned and unplanned customer interactions.
- Create and evaluate prototypes to generate concept and model approvals.
- Write engineering reports and create presentations as required to document and communicate results.
- Institute design changes based on internal and external customer feedback.
- Collaborate with peers to manage the development of appropriate testing to verify product meets internal and external customer requirements.
- Maintain accountability to the completion of specific programs and projects in accordance to agreed project deliverables.
- Contribute inventions, new designs and techniques regarded as advances in the medical and technical/scientific community.
- Use advanced techniques to anticipate, identify and develop solutions or alternatives to a variety of common and uncommon problems having a range of complexity.
- Provide leadership, training and mentorship to less experienced team members.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks/projects with a strong problem solving ability.
- Adhere to safety policy procedures.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related degree
- 10+ years of experience with Bachelors Degree OR 8+ years of experience with an Advanced Degree
Nice to Have
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, scientific, or technical discipline
- 10+ years of engineering experience
- 8+ years of medical device experience
- Thorough understanding of Neurovascular medical device industry and competitor products. Working knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in keeping current with technology developments in specialized area.
- In depth knowledge and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in related field of expertise to develop innovative approaches to work
- In-depth clinical knowledge for uses of product.
- In-depth knowledge of Neurovascular anatomy relative to surgical procedures for specific products.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work cooperatively with others as a lead member of a team.
- Demonstrated experience sharing information, status, needs, and issues with others in order to inform, gain input, and support decision-making.
- Expertise in Nitinol device development and related processes.
- Equipment and tooling design.
- Experience with Neurovascular products
- Experience designing Neurovascular devices and systems
- Experience with Nitinol, cobalt chromium material processing and testing
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life.
We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid through: 4/3/2021