Responsibilities : This person will serve as the company’s lead Mechanical Engineer, responsible for the overall mechanical design of the Iver family of underwater vehicles. This person will report to our Director of Product Development, and will supervise at least one subordinate engineer. This person will provide input and recommendations for Internal Research And Development (IRAD) projects and support business growth by researching and responding to customer solicitations. As time permits, this person may also prepare and present research results on topics of general industry interest at trade conferences or contribute to published trade publication articles. Specific Duties:
- Serve as the Lead Engineer responsible for the total Mechanical system design of the Iver family of underwater vehicles
- Provide detailed design models of all Iver mechanical components using Solidworks
- Manage the design and prototype of new components to rapidly test changes and improvements
- Assist in the testing and qualification of the Iver AUV as well as implementing and testing all design changes.
- Assist in the integration of new sensors to support growth and customer opportunities.
- Assist OceanServer purchasing Dept to select vendors for purchased mechanical components
- Assist QC Dept to verify compliance of incoming purchased parts with required specs
- Manage the engineering input to outside machine shops that will be fabricating components.
- Manage the documentation control system for all Iver subsystems and components
- Interface with customers on behalf of L3 OceanServer Engineering and Business Development
This role can be hired at a T4 or T5 Grade level.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 10 years+ as mechanical development engineer on primarily maritime products and solutions
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Government Security Clearance.
- Must be extremely proficient with Solidworks, composing large full system models.
- Must have the skills to analyze the strength of design as the structure is under pressure.
- Must have strong attention to detail and accuracy as well as the ability to work on many designs simultaneously.
- Experience in designing water tight pressure vessels in the 300 PSI pressure range; o-ring design, carbon fiber tubes, machined sealing caps, rotary seals for shafts that exit the pressure hull.
- Experience in designing machined aluminum parts that form the tail of the vehicle; drive motor and seal, servos to fin shafts supported and sealed.
- Experience in designing Delrin components that form parts of the vehicle that may hold sensors and have o-ring seals.
- Experience in designing structures to support printed circuit boards and electronic subsystems.
- Experience in fabricating / machining parts using CNC Lathes and Mills
- Ability to technically define and decompose AUV system and functional requirements, document specifications, and identify and architect new requirements.
- Experience in a design role preferably of low volume, high-value undersea sensors and vehicle platforms
- Experience developing 3D models and detailed drawings
- Demonstrated experience developing documentation packages to assist follow-on manufacturing.
- Assist in Testing and qualification of the Iver AUV as well as implementing and testing all design changes
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense Secret security clearance.
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or BS and equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across groups of diverse disciplines.
- Must be able to organize and meet critical deadlines and schedules
- Strong communications skills (written and oral)