Industry: Energy & Utilities•
11 - 15 years
Posted 61 days ago
Salt River Project is seeking an experienced and business oriented System Protection Senior Principal Engineer to lead major projects, provide critical input on system design and settings, and provide in-depth knowledge and experience on system events. The successful candidate will be a natural self-starter who is passionate about relay protection, NERC Standards, system design and fault analysis.
The engineer will need to understand the details of the utility electrical grid, AC and DC systems, implementation of new designs, system modeling, project estimating and developing relay settings for Transmission, Distribution and Generation projects. Hands-on experience is preferred. Engineers will design relay upgrades and lead field technicians with project installation, commissioning, and energizing of high voltage equipment.
As a Senior Principal Engineer in the System Protection group, you must be a subject matter expert in the electrical engineering field with the ability and desire to teach other engineers as well as interact with a variety of internal and external customers, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors. We highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development. At SRP, teamwork and safety are absolutely necessary to accomplish our goals. The Engineer must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work.
**This opening is for an Electrical Engineer
• Ability to perform design verification independently and lead others in this process
• Design upgrades for distribution, Sub-transmission, Generation and EHV relaying
• Design Remedial Action Schemes
• Industrial upgrade design and external department review
• Perform design review for external departments for RTU upgrades, distribution, and sub-transmission/EHV line relaying, bus diff, breaker failure, transformer relaying
• Independently act as project lead for assigned projects
• Suggest changes to improve design
• Act as Project Leader for large scale projects
• Provide estimates for design jobs
• Ability to understand complex and unique relay settings
• Issue accurate setting changes to existing settings and show ability to make other setting changes to standardize
• Develop settings for distribution, Sub-transmission, Generation and EHV relay
• Review relay settings issued by other engineers
• Take a training role with teaching other engineers and developing commissioning best practices
• Perform scheme checks for distribution and sub-transmission/EHV line relaying, bus diff, breaker failure, transformer, and generation relaying
• Independently run fault simulations for distribution and sub-transmission/EHV line relaying, bus diff, breaker failure, transformer, and generation relaying
• Independently analyze energizing/load reads for distribution and sub-transmission/EHV line relaying, bus diff, breaker failure, transformer, and generation relaying
• Act as fault analysis consultant and help train those on call
• Suggest setting changes based on events
• Investigate mis-operations
• Assist in large scale event analysis
• Ability to present event related material to management and peers
• Take an active role in training engineering staff
• Be given special assignments related to WECC/NERC/FERC
• Be actively engaged in establishing standards and documenting standards and processes
• Act as staff technical consultant on all areas of relaying
• Serve on industry committees
• Write internal/external technical papers
• Subject Mater Expert in NERC PRC/CIP standards
14 years professional experience actively engaged in engineering plus professional recognition.
Must have demonstrated the successful accomplishment of work as defined for this position.
Authored internal and/or external technical papers
Requisition ID: 8806