The Senior Principal Engineer is responsible for defining and driving product planning for all End User and Workplace technologies including desktop hardware and peripherals, messaging, productivity and collaboration, desktop and conference room video, remote access and mobile solutions.
She or he is also accountable for the product financials and overall product lifecycle. The function is part-business and part-technical: on the business side, she or he needs to be able to represent technology to developers and business people in non-technical language (e.g. business cases, features, lifecycle, etc.), and on the technical side, she or he needs to be hands on with the technology and be able to engage with engineers, operations staff, vendors, and be very comfortable with the technical concepts. The Senior Principal Engineer will also be engaged to create technical solutions where a product does not yet exist so the role requires good general understanding of enterprise level infrastructuretechnologies. This role depends on the candidate being able to be self-sufficient and highly motivated to engage across the organization and find solutions without hand-holding. The role also requires the individual to interface directly with senior leaders on the business and application development, as well as with the Infrastructure Management Team and with technical peers and colleagues. The ability to engage and communicate effectively across this broad a spectrum of people is critical to success in this role.
- Define product strategy and roadmap for End User products within Workspace, Collaboration, Remote Access and Mobility.
- Act as first point of contact for new requests for End User products or solutions, documenting requirements, assessing impact to architecture & strategy and defining the right approach.
- Act as a technical conduit to multiple groups in Information Systems & Technology, aligning the discussions across teams, and translating between business and technical language as needed for the audience.
- Lead the implementation of technical projects to achieve delivery of releases of key products and solutions.
- Draft and contribute to RFI / RFP / RFQ activities (e.g. to select a new hardware vendor, or for contract negotiations for a new master services agreement).
- Identify KPI's, collect data, analyze trends, and be able to represent product quality and execution.
- Identify opportunities and cost-effective ways to implement and execute improvement initiatives in the product portfolio.
- Create business models to supportinvestments in new products, and to manage the lifecycle of existing products (e.g. TCO analysis, projections of volume on products and how it affects unit and total pricing, and how to incentivize good behavior for end of life decisions).
- Develop and deliver presentations, business cases, and product strategies to senior IT and business leaders.
- Establish and maintain application service catalog with self service delivery of applications through packaging and virtualization technologies.
- Serve as a thought leader for the organization and drive Proof of Concepts to showcase future capabilities.
- Define and document procedural guides for testing and rolling out new operating systems, and hardware devices.
- Maintain involvement in technology news and changing trends in the industry and provide management and internal teams with updates of all information.
- Minimum of 10 years in an infrastructure role within a media & entertainment firm or firm with equivalently demanding technology consumption.
- Hands-on experience with end user technologies from Microsoft, Google, Apple, VMware, Cisco, Citrix and other large technology vendors
- Excellent written and verbal skills with clients, vendors and teammates, with an ability to summarize and translate between business and technical contexts
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Excellent team-working, collaboration and inter-personal skills
- Excellent time and task management skills
- Experience managing IT product/services TCO and lifecycle
- Applies creativity with an enterprise mindset
- Self-starter individual contributor, able to execute without staff, and with very light supervision
- Ability to remain calm and be able to execute under pressure (e.g. critical outages, delivery deadlines)
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) or equivalent work experience.