As a Sr. Principal Engineer you will have developed industry recognized expertise in embedded software, ideally for optical modules in telecom applications. You will have lead multiple design teams through full product development and into production. As a Sr. Principal Engineer, you will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in a particular area that matches the expertise of our customers distinguished or highest level active design engineering staff. You will consult on product design architectures, assess technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting and oversee design progressions during product developments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as design authority for the overall embedded software architecture – maximizing robustness, re-usability, and documentation.
- Own significant portions of the product development, including documentation and coding,
- Collaborate with Jabil and subcontract systems level software teams as required.
- Ensure that source code, libraries and executable code are sustained in a highly controlled environment.
- Drive an appropriate code development approach with the intent to retain control and maximize quality at all times.
- Work with Designers and Product Verification teams to ensure that firmware loads are fully characterized and that appropriate user interfaces are provided for designer testing and factory debug.
- Work with Hardware Design to ensure that requirement capture is thorough at the onset of the project to avoid churn later.
- Manage hardware churn such as part obsolescence as required.
- Monitor standards body guidelines and ensure compliance if applicable.
- Work with other teams to ensure that the embedded code base is compliant to all third party license requirements that may be required.
- Responsible for selection of code development, problem tracking, operating system, debug, compiler and other appropriate tool-set configuration and working with the team to keep this tool set current.
- Implement security in the run time code as required.
- Work with Senior Management to ensure that firmware projects remain on schedule with predictable outcomes.
- Act as Technical Authority for Release Notes.
- Work closely with development teams in Asia on collaborative projects; at times talk with the team in the evening to align with their morning time zone.
- Own download, upgrade and downgrade methods including supported loads and upgrade/downgrade paths.
- Meet the requirements of key technology Sr. Lead Design Engineer in your respective expertise.
- Will represent Jabil Design Engineering in technical customer discussions / meetings.
- Work with Project Managers and System Architects in the quoting process.
- Provide technical input to help identify and solve project risks that may affect overall project plans and schedules.
- Is expected to help lead from a strong experience base the development and utilization of processes for design.
- Mentoring of all engineering staff for technology development in the Sr. Eng key experience based and as a go to person.
- Stay abreast of the latest technology and techniques to provide designs that are competitive, cutting edge and cost effective.
- Raise perception of Jabil’s acumen in the industry by authoring or presenting papers, articles, etc.
- Should be associated with applicable industry trade groups/organizations maintaining active membership and participation.
- Work with Site Directors and Dir of System Architecture to define potential R&D project proposals that will help increase areas of technical and process competencies needed.
- Lead the development and implementation of platform and product architectures in collaboration with senior technical staff.
- Guide and oversee the development of system component requirements, interfaces, and specifications necessary to maintain the consistency and integrity of the articulated architectures.
- Manage product design and documentation at a system and product level.
- Perform independent research and engineering studies to keep Jabil on the front line of product development.
- Demonstrate key leadership and perform as the key leader for local and remote development teams.
- Effectively consult on multiple projects in parallel.
- Be a key player in Developing IP, Patents, Technical Publications or White Papers .
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply math concepts to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to develop mathematical models of physical reality and solve them, then implement the results.
Ability to apply advanced engineering mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply engineering mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Ability to work effectively under pressure with constantly changing priorities and deadlines. Individual may be required to sit, stand, walk regularly and occasionally lift up to 15 lbs. Be accessible office staff and to use required office equipment. Specific version requirements include reading of written documents and use of computer monitor screen frequently
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum Bachelor degree with 10+ years of increasing responsibility in software development.
- Real time / high reliability embedded software design experience.
- Electronics experience. Photonics experience is an asset.
- Proven success in earlier complex projects.
- Optical module experience, particularly with CMIS, is an asset.
- Good influencing skills
Remote employees considered.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.