Franklin Electric develops and produces residential and commercial motor drive, control, and protection equipment. We are developing new and innovative electronic products moving air, water, and fuel. As an Electronics Engineer at Franklin Electric you will lead the development of Variable Frequency Drives for residential and commercial applications and the design application specific controls and sensors for a variety of pumping and air handling solutions. The successful candidate will be in a strong position to develop into a future leader within Franklin Electric's growing electronics development organization.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
In this role you are responsible for product development from concept ideation through product launch. Specific activities will include design, test, and validation of power electronic-based products, controls, and motor protection equipment. You will have the opportunity to participate in cross functional developments teams as contributor, leader, and subject matter expert.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead development of concepts and circuit designs for motor control and protection products
- Perform computer-based component, circuit, and system simulation to prove out design performance and compliance with
- product specifications
- Develop product requirement specifications and validation plans
- Prepare control algorithms and participate in the development of embedded software and control hardware
- Supports transitioning newly developed products into the production phase
- Provide technical support for existing products and/or product improvement projects
- Defines critical-to-quality features of components and products
- Performs product risk analysis
- Reviews technical and marketing literature associated with products developed
- Leader and active participant in a cross-functional product development environment
- Lead engineering team through development tollgate process
- Plan development projects through concept, design, validation, documentation, and production launch
- Acts as a technical resource and mentor for less-experienced engineers
Skills and Abilities
- Experience designing and testing active power factor correction and inverter/motor drive solutions.
- Development of 3-phase converters and/or variable-frequency motor drives using contemporary design practice
- Experienced with analog and digital signal condition circuit design
- Skilled in the use of complex analytical tools such as circuit/system modeling and mathematical analysis programs such as PSpice, Mathcad, MATLAB, and Simulink
- Experience with the test and validation process for electronic and software-based products
- Experience with UL and IEC standards and the compliance process
- Working knowledge of variable frequency drive control solutions such as V/F, DTC, & FOC
- Expertly knows and predicts physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and their applications as related to electrical/electronic operation and processes
- Possesses a strong understanding of control system dynamics
- The design of high-performance inductors and transformers using high-frequency magnetic materials
- Test and mitigation of RF emissions
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, engineeringtechnology, physics, or a related field (required).
- 5 to 10 years of related experience
- Advanced: PSpice, Mathcad/Simulink, MATLAB, Altium (Schematic Capture), Excel
- Basic: Microsoft Office Suite
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled.