The Hartford is seeking a highly motivated Guidewire Sr. Developer in our Windsor, CT or Charlotte, NC office. Our ideal candidate will demonstrate strong leadership skills, proficiency in managing matrix technical teams, technical acumen, and is experienced in delivering quality technical solutions as well as setting and executing on a strategic technical vision. Strong candidates will balance their Guidewire PolicyCenter Development experience with strong interpersonal/communication skills, and leverage their ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. This is a great opportunity to drive solutions and development work on a high profile and valued technical platform! Responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide technical leadership, enforcing the vision of the application architecture and integrity of the application environment in alliance with architects and other tech leads
- Participate in development; oversees code reviews and sets standards for development practices
- Partners with the project team to provide estimates, quality and accuracy of technical designs, build and implementation.
- Understand and implement the overall technical vision for projects, programs and systems, keeping in mind cross-functional impacts, integration across the organization and architecture rationalization.
- Subject matter expert and advocate for the software applications supported, requiring depth and breadth in their knowledge of the business, technologies, applications, integration and interfaces.
- Proactively address technical issues and risks that could impact maintenance release schedules and/or financials
- Mentor, coach and train team members and peers, both internal and vendor partners, to enforce development guidelines and best practices.
- Lead change by influencing and educating Business, IT and Sourcing partners.
- Facilitate continuity between vendor and HIG partners, other IT Groups and Enterprise Architecture.
- Identify opportunities to reduce total cost of ownership in the operational application support areas.
- Work across the organization to provide business process or design recommendations consistent with long term business and IT strategy.
- Work closely with the architecture team to ensure that the technical solution designs and implementation are consistent with the architectural vision.
- Support and consult on disaster recovery and reverse demand planning and testing.
- Develop code that conforms to The Hartford coding standards and industry best practices.
- Work closely with development team, BA’s, App managers, QA test leads and architects using Agile/Waterfall methodology.
- Oversee technical deliverables, coaching and mentoring of junior developers and provide technical leadership for same.
- Understand and implement the overall technical vision for projects, programs, or systems, keeping in mind cross-functional impacts, integration across the organization and architecture rationalization.
- Contribute to and promote teamwork in a multi-vendor environment developing complex multi-layered enterprise applications.
- Conduct code reviews and perform code migrations.
- 2-5 years’ experience in Guidewire configuration and integration development using GOSU with PolicyCenter v 7.0/8.0.
- 5+ years of experience developing web based Java/J2EE applications.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of independence but also able to work as a team player.
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Strong communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented design and methodologies.
- Familiar with SDLC including Water Fall and Agile.
- Experience working on development teams for large internet based front-end applications.
- Ability to conduct effective code reviews.
- Hands-on experience, working knowledge and strong technical skills in the following technologies:
- 5+ years’ experience designing and supporting implementation of Guidewire products
- 2+ years’ experience in Spring Batch Framework.
- Proficiency in designing, implementing and supporting packaged Vendor products.
- Application Server, Weblogic, JBoss.
- SOAP/Restful Web Services, XML and XSD.
- Database technologies such as Oracle, ORM.
- Integration with Web Content Management tools
- Source Code version tools such as Apache Subversion, and Git, GitHub.
- Experience with Jenkins
Other relevant skill sets include:
- Business Knowledge & Partnership (insurance/financial industry background)
- Planning and Project Management
- Financial Stewardship
- Lean/Six Sigma