Policy, Research and International Affairs (PRI) serves AARP by leading the development and articulation of AARP’s public policies, research and insights on the 50+ and issues that matter to them, importing best global practices, and strengthening AARP's reputation for world class expertise and thought leadership.
- Identifies policy challenges and solutions related to: finance issues, including insurance, securities and otherfinancial products; and consumer protection issues.
- Uses appropriate methodologies and data to conduct and oversee original research on highly visible and potentially controversial policy issues in AARP’s areas of importance.
- Provides objective policy analysis and expert guidance for timely use by key internal clients. Evaluates current policy positions and provides extensive input for the drafting of The Policy Book: AARP’s Public Policies.
- Develops policy options and strategies to enable AARP to promote changes in public policy that make it possible for 50+ Americans to live a better life.
- Critiques legislative and regulatory proposals in area of expertise, and provides objective policy analysis to inform AARP’s public outreach and advocacy efforts,
- Represents AARP in public forums, and serves as an expert resource to AARP staff, as well as to opinion leaders and policymakers outside AARP.
- Serves as focal point within AARP for issue expertise, participating in and influencing strategic planning and decision-making by actively serving on committees, teams, and working groups.
- Demonstrates AARP leadership behaviors in all interactions.
Position requires the ability to:
- Initiate and complete work independently, plan and manage one’s workload, and complete work under tight time pressures.
- Think strategically when developing a work plan.
- Excel in a team environment, and to collaborate with others within the Public Policy Institute and throughout AARP.
- Balance and manage short-term deliverables with long-term projects.
- Employee must exercise excellent judgment when dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Completion of an advanced degree in Public Policy, Economics or other Social Sciences, or a related discipline, and a minimum of 8years of experience related to the position. * Completion of a Doctorate degreepreferred.
- Demonstrated expert on finance issues including insurance, securities, and otherfinancial products; knowledge of consumer protection issues.
- Strong analytical skills and experience analyzing data; ability to write data-driven fact sheets, policy briefs, and research reports.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Exceptional skills in presenting subject matter and data for all types of audiences.
- Knowledge and ability to use social media communication tools such as twitter and blogging