Senior Platform Software Engineer
5 - 7 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
Inmar is a progressive technology company headquartered in North Carolina. We’re North America’s leading provider of technology-driven reverse logistics, pharmacy and promotions management solutions for more than 1200+ retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers and 32,000 retail pharmacies. Our systems process billions of pharmacy claims, returned/recalled products and promotional transactions each year. Inmar’s Promotions B2B Engineering team provides all the tools and analytics for our thousands of clients to manage, forecast, and analyze their promotions and all of the big data analytics behind them.
You’ve worked on large-scale enterprise systems long enough to have developed a vision for a better way to develop software—a platform of small, focused systems that each serve a specialized purpose and that can be delivered quickly. You deftly pull the right tool from your arsenal (ASP.NET Web API, go, Node.js, or even Perl) depending on the job at hand, and have worked as both a developer and a consumer of enough APIs to have formed opinions on what makes an API useful and intuitive. You think in REST, know more about “HATEOAS” than how to spell it, and when it comes to message queues, you understand the implications of “at least once message delivery” in SQS. You might even be up to the challenge of naming things.
Working with more junior developers gets you excited for the coaching opportunities, and you also relish the chance to work with more senior developers who can help you learn even faster and expand your ever-growing technical skillset. Groking the business requirements is second-nature. You own what you write and jump in to help your team support the product when there’s a fire, and when the smoke clears you’re one of the first to say “ok, how can we make sure that doesn’t happen again?” You’re passionate and opinionated about great software; and most importantly, you love building real, working apps that surprise and delight your customers.
WHAT YOU’D BE DOING
Under general supervision of the Platform Engineering Manager, the Senior Platform Engineer is a back-end engineer who performs work assignments in one or more of the following areas: providing technical guidance and direction to other staff members; participating in project planning and requirements definition; system/application design, system/application development, unit testing, support during QA and User Acceptance Testing, implementation and integration; customer support for and technical expertise in end-user decision support software tools and end-user computing technology; conducting all activities in accordance with standards and procedures. As a Senior Engineer, you will be expected to own the analysis and requirements for a significant area of the platform our team builds and supports, and should be ready to bring suggestions for how we can improve our products, refine our software development process, and use new technologies to build software faster and more reliably.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, develop, test, deploy, and support new software solutions and changes to existing software solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues in a variety of application environments
- Participate in peer code reviews
- Mentor team members and provide thoughtful discussion on tactics and strategies as they are selected
- Translate business requirements and product specifications into components of complex, loosely-coupled, distributed systems
- Maintain a focus on rapid delivery of new features to market while maintaining stability and uptime
- Maintain familiarity with the evolving trends in software development
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years developing production web applications in various technologies including C#, go, or Node.js
- 5+ years working with REST APIs, distributed systems, and message queues
- 2+ years working with a NoSQL database system