Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. Working with over 90 of the world’s leading electric and gas utilities, Uplight provides an end-to-end customer energy experience. We are B Corp certified, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and community.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and the planet.
What you get to do:
This is a software engineering position on the team designing and building the new API platform that drives our products. The project you’ll be working on is critical to the future of the business and used extensively by both internal teams and external customers, so this is a great opportunity to grow technically and have a huge impact on a mission-driven company. At a high level you will:
- Shape the engineering future of the company by contributing to architectural decisions for the overall platform strategy.
- Design and deliver high-quality, well-tested, scalable backend software systems.
- Own features and lead the technical specification process for those features by making and documenting technical decisions and accounting for edge cases.
- Automate as much as possible – as the API team we’re big believers in well-defined interfaces and building pipelines that ensure our code does what it’s supposed to today and continues to do so tomorrow.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior team members.
On the technical side, you’ll have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge cloud architectures and help scale our data-driven platform. This is a growing team, meaning you will help define the culture and processes with us as we build out the team together, but as a start, here are some values that are important to us:
- Work life balance – We take this seriously; we’re currently experimenting with a 9/80 work schedule and follow ‘no meeting Wednesdays’ so we can focus and get our work done without dipping into personal time.
- High coding standards – We are believers in the importance of developer experience and testing for long term success, so our code and processes take advantage of static typing, object-oriented design, and automated testing and deployment.
- Process where it makes sense – Our organization employs an agile process, but we also understand the importance of the engineering side of software engineering so there are times where we roll up our sleeves and put together documentation and design specifications up front before getting down to the business of writing code.
What you bring to Uplight:
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer who brings relevant expertise to the table in a pragmatic and cooperative way. This is a senior role, so you should have a proven track record of successful design and delivery of backend systems.
- Senior-level understanding and experience with any relevant programming language in the context of backend development (Python, C#, Java, etc.)
- An understanding of software engineering fundamentals, and the ability to articulate design trade-offs
- We’re looking for someone who is curious and interested in working cooperatively on hard problems with a team of talented engineers rather than a specific set of skills. Most of our work will be in Python, but all we expect is knowledge of a modern programming language, an understanding of software development fundamentals, and a willingness to learn and work with Python.
Skills and experience are necessary, but we hire on value alignment first, so if you feel you would be a good fit with us, still consider applying.
- API, SDK, or developer portal experience where developers were your primary customer
- Experience with multiple database types and an understanding of data schemas
- Cloud infrastructure management and dev-ops knowledge
- Greenfield engineering experience or other experience that required dealing with ambiguity and involved personal and team ownership of solutions
- Experience with containerization and/or orchestration technology
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
In addition to all the standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- Proud to be over 500+ purpose-driven individuals helping to create a more sustainable planet.
- Committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities.
- Focused on career growth by following defined career ladders.
- Committed to taking our work and mission seriously and….we love to laugh
We also provide:
- 401k Match
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Peer to peer recognition program
- Management by objectives bonus plan
- Innovative flexible time off
- Exceptionally collaborative and cool office spaces (once we reopen them)
Salary Range: $120,000 to $135,000