Responsible for responding to discovery requests and third party subpoenas. Establish factual background related to employment disputes.
- Together with attorneys, conducts internal investigations, including document gathering and review, needed to respond to subpoenas, agency charges and employment litigation matters.
- Prepares strong, factually accurate case summaries, position statements, witness lists, legal hold memoranda, and other legal documents for use by internal and external attorneys in defending claims.
- Assists with witness preparation for testimony and responding to formal discovery requests.
- Under direction of in-house counsel, responds to discovery requests including identifying records custodians, searching email archiving systems, and working with IT and project staff to collect relevant data/documentation.
- Manages ediscovery process including coordination of projects with outside counsel and vendors when necessary. Maintains litigation databases. Supervises contract attorneys/paralegals during document reviews.
- Interacts professionally with outside counsel, federal, state and local agencies, and internal clients.
- Conducts legal and factual research for in-house lawyers with respect to labor and employment law matters.
- Provides other support to attorneys with respect to litigation and administrative proceedings.
- Works under the direction of an attorney to assess and resolve routine legal issues.
- Responsible for calendaring, tracking, and meeting all case deadlines.
- Works on special projects and other matters as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Paralegal Certificate preferred
- 10+ years of experience in litigation required. Experience handling labor and employment administrative and litigation matters preferred. Law firm experience strongly preferred.
- Relies on extensive experience and sound judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Must work independently and proactively to perform a variety of tasks. May lead and direct the work of others.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected, and the successful candidate must possess exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Works with moderate supervision/ guidance; accountable for individual results and impact on team.
- Must be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills. Must exhibit strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to constantly changing requirements in a fast-paced environment, while taking steps necessary to meet challenging internal and external deadlines. Must have the ability to work under pressure.
- Must be a team player and have ability to deal tactfully with internal business clients and colleagues to achieve team goals.
- Experience in discovery (including e-discovery) and case management functions.
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft office proficient (Word, Excel, etc.); matter management software (TyMetrix experience or the ability to quickly learn TyMetrix functions); SharePoint. Experience using PeopleSoft is preferred.