Senior Paint Process Engineer
5 - 7 years experience •
The Paint Processing Engineer is responsible for providing in-house technical expertise and support facility wide in the areas of Prep/Paint Powder Paint, Curing Technologies, Undercoating / Gatorhyde. This position will also be responsible to lead a group of Team Leads and production employees in the manufacturing activities needed to produce client* s product for the Customer. The Supervisor also is responsible for driving continuous improvement to achieve the expected safety, quality, delivery and cost targets for the team.
It is important that the client* s brand is carried out through all duties and responsibilities. We are a leading manufacturer, distributor and fleet sales expert of premium truck bodies with commercial upfit for vocational markets nationwide. We strive for a pioneering attitude and a focused commitment to innovation in all we do.
* Safety: Ensures workplace safety and compliance by establishing and adhering to safety, environmental and other workplace policies. Responds to identified safety or environmental risks with urgency. Proactively communicates and creates a culture of awareness of safety.
* Quality: Establishes quality standards to ensure customers are satisfied with the delivered product. Develops and sustains a sense of ownership of quality within area. Does not allow poor quality to be passed on. Works within and across organization to drive root cause solutions to quality opportunities.
* Delivery: Uses visual scheduling tools and systems to make status of * ahead/behind* transparent and to ensure the right thing is happening at the right time for both internal and external customers. Owns the * escalation* process to drive responsiveness to abnormalities.
* Paint/Powder Processes:
o Establish Powder Coat standards, dry powder millage readings
o Identify Powder Coat / E-Coat defects and develop cause and remedy plans
o Supports the Value Stream Leader in creating and maintaining capacity/staffing models to ensure staffing (including # of shifts), overtime, and machine/cell capacity are sufficient to meet changing customer demand. Proactively makes adjustments in staffing, overtime, machine/cell capacity to maintain and/or improve productivity.
o Monitors the department budget and ensure that resources are allocated properly to meet revenue and profit targets.
o Ensures good material management practices within their area of responsibility.
o Manage cross-training matrices and job rotations to ensure every job function or task is adequately covered by more than one associate, to give employees the opportunity to expand their skills, and to enable the company to meet changing customer demand over time.
o Completes performance reviews on direct reports and provide input to other supervisors and managers regarding associates throughout the organization, as appropriate
o Develops employees through formal and informal training, coaching, one-on-one interaction, cross-training, etc.
* Reporting: Complete requiredreports, such as safety, attendance, quality, efficiency, etc.
* Continuous Improvement:
o Embraces and mastersLean skills needed to drive continuous improvement through their area and across internal customers and suppliers. Coaches/teaches associates the Lean skills needed to contribute effectively in the continuous improvement efforts.
o Learns/uses/teaches structured problem solving
o Supports Team Leads in developing and maintaining healthy Team Improvement Board processes.
o Conducts Daily Layered Audits to protect the processes in place
o Maintains a Visual Workplace
o Works within and across the organization to drive continuous improvement activity * specifically Lean* to improve safety, quality, delivery, & cost
o Works with other associates, supervisors, and departments to drive continuous improvement activity, specifically Lean, to improve safety, quality, lead-time, on-time delivery, inventory, and labor productivity
o Interacts, communicates, and collaborates effectively with Production Scheduling, Materials, Engineering, and other departments across the organization.
o Models lean leadership of Respect for People, Commitment to Excellence, Trustworthiness
o Tenaciously strives for continuous improvement
* BS degree in Engineering or related field
* 4-5years hands on experience working in paints / powder paint / e-coat systems
* 3-5years demonstrated experience in a manufacturing environment
* Background paint chemistry/technology
* Working knowledge of Windows Office applications
* Demonstrated communication and employee development skills
* Must be able to work daily and weekend over-time and alternative shifts