About the Opportunity The Organic Senior Agronomist willwork within Driscoll’s Global R&D organization andreport to the Director of Global Strategic Research,supporting the implementation and adoption of critical agronomy strategic projects by Driscoll’s growers in California and Mexico, and leading the technology transfer of organic berry crop production to Driscoll’s operations in EuropeResponsibilities
- Acts as the technical leader for Driscoll’s Organic Agronomy Program within California.
- Assesses the technical skills of the local extension, nursery and production management teams in what relates to organic production, and designs and executes training programs to leverage the skills and knowledge of the local team members as related with the technical needs for each project.
- Leads the technology transfer efforts on strategic organic projects and best practices to the Agronomy and Applied Research teams in Southern Europe.
- Supports the local extension members executing the organic crop management plans in the grower fields.
- Coordinates relevant organic projects with Driscoll’s Global Plant, Entomology, Plant Physiology teams and integrates recommendations into Best management Practices and Growing Manuals.
- Ensures measurement and progress reporting of all components of the projects on a regular basis, identifies challenges and works with the project team to find solutions.
- Acts as the organic project lead interacting with the nurseries, assessing organic plant quality for the critical projects and incorporating nursery outcomes in the crop management plan.
- Participates in the assessment of new technologies and growing practices that can highly impact Driscoll’s organic growing operations.
- Ensures the confidentiality of Driscoll’s financial, proprietary and employee information.
- Represents Driscoll’s in a manner that demonstrates Driscoll’s Mission and Values in all interactions internally and externally.
- Performs other duties as instructed.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- PhD or MSc in Horticulture, Plant Science, Organic Agriculture or Agronomy preferably with a minimum of 5 years of experience in organic production of horticultural crops and relevant research background Other agriculture-related areas of emphasis may be considered.
- Relevant knowledge of integrated soil health and organic nutrition management.
- Additional experience with extension and development of extension and training programs and deployment of technologies is preferred.
- Candidate must be disciplined, self-motivated and have strong verbal/written communication and the ability to effectively collaborate with others.
- The ability to interact and work on a cross-functional team environment is fundamental.
- Curiosity, accuracy, detail orientation, organization, and analytical skills are essential.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, initiative, good judgment and discretion.
- Excellent documentation skills to translate field based projects progress.
- Analytical skills sufficient to analyze problems in a multi- faceted way and to develop and participate in implementing solutions.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- A valid passport and the ability to travelinternationally without restrictions.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.