Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Coherent Integrated Optical Systems business unit is a precision optics and optical assemblies design and manufacturing group, which specializes in high-precision aspheres for a variety of specialized applications including semiconductor and flat-panel display manufacturing, ground and space-based telescopes, defense systems and other exotic scientific and government-sponsored programs.
The business encompasses the Tinsley Custom Optics product line, and is located in Richmond, CA.
We are seeking a dynamic Opto-Mechanical Engineer. Our ideal candidate will have strong design skills, with an interest in growing as an engineering leader.
In particular, we’re looking for a candidate who will:
• Contribute to three major areas of design activity: custom optics and optical assemblies, mechanical/opto-mechanical equipment and tooling for optical fabrication and testing
• Provide technical guidance and support external and internal customers throughout the product life cycle
• Domain knowledge in mechanical, opto-mechanical, automation engineering
• Expertise with opto-mechanical design and analysis activity, including modal, heat transfer, vibration, gravity deflection, and wavefront analyses
• Anticipate and overcome obstacles with a pragmatic approach to achieve goals and commitments.
• Support the development of product revisions, quality refinement, design updates, and manufacturing process improvements
• Interact with internal departments and external customers; particularly in problem resolution
• Manage product, equipment and tooling BOMs in the Agile PLM tool
Education and Work Experience:
Graduate degree in mechanical engineering, opto-mechanical engineering, or a closely related field.
5+ years of experience in a opto-mechanical design environment
• Expert experience with Solidworks, experience with Agile PLM
• Experience with Solidworks EDPM is desirable
• Experience using modeling software for heat transfer, vibration (modal, jitter, transient), gravity distortion, and impact on system wavefront
• Experience with optical metrology systems and equipment
• Experience with optical systems specification and associated error budgeting. Line of sight, jitter, wavefront, strehl, encircled energy.
• Experience developing optical manufacturing equipment is desirable
• Excellent communication and presentation skills with internal and external customers
- Job ID: 6849