We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
SENIOR OPTICAL SYSTEM DESIGNER
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
Ciena Corporation, the network specialist, offers leading networkinfrastructure solutions, intelligent software and a comprehensive services practice. Our portfolio of software-centric optical and Ethernet platforms combines network element programmability, operating system commonality and management unification, and Carrier Ethernet-based transformation to enable our customers to change the way they compete. Our solutions form the foundation of many of the largest, most reliable and sophisticated service provider, enterprise, government, and research and education networks across the globe.
The Agile Programmable Optical Transport R&D team responsible for the development of photonic hardware, photonic software and photonic system architecture. Within this team, the Lightwave Performance team is responsible for the optical performance and modeling.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Manager of Lightwave Performance, the Senior Optical System Designer is responsible for the development of models and simulators that calculate the optical performance of high capacity optical networks.
- Contribute to the development of computationally efficient, accurate, optical performance-estimators for next generation Photonic and Modem products
- Provide technical leadership in the development of optical path validation methods and algorithms
- Mentor junior designers in the development of the tools and algorithms
- Provide requirements into Photonic and Modem design teams based on System analysis
- Provide metrics for assessment and implement methods to set risk-level during design-validation
- Develop the underlying engine that simulates the optical hardware and control algorithms to used and guarantee commercially committed optical link budget performance.
- Expert programmer of models of physical behavior
- Deep understanding of optical systems, components, device physics, error analysis and statistics
- Excellent technical writing ability
- Expertise in laboratory measurement is an asset
- A passion for clear communication
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD in a relevant engineering or physics discipline with a specific interest in optics, photonics & telecommunications plus 5 years industrialexperience.