The ideal candidate for the Senior Optical Engineer position will have demonstrated experience specifying, designing, testing, and qualifying optical modules and individual components for use in next generation agile optical networks. In addition, the individual will work in the transmission laboratory to define and validate transmission models and component/module performance.
The candidate must have broad experience in the field of optics and be able to fully evaluate transmission issues as they relate to the specifications on individual components and sub-modules. Competency should span all relevant disciplines (transmission, optical, mechanical, electronics) with expertise in optical performance specification..
- Develop complete specifications for optical components and modules that reflect the downstream capabilities of the components as well as the upstream requirements for the circuit pack or system.
- Design optical fabric simulations and modeling of optical systems with design and modeling tools such as Zemax and Matlab.
- Validate transmission performance of complete optical transmission systems; conduct experiments to characterize components and subsystems.
- Help develop manufacturing, assembly and qualification processes to build products.
- Troubleshoot optical issues in benchtop and prototype modules, prove proposals for performance improvements and implement solutions.
- Work closely with suppliers to resolve any issues related to performance, qualification status and cost of components.
- Interface with operations team to develop documentation and test processes related to modules.
- Investigate and quantify benefits of new optical techniques as they are incorporated into the product. Support customer facing activities: RFQs, Specs, etc..
- Ph.D. in Engineering or Physics or Optics with 10+ years' experience with DWDM components and DWDM transmission or similarly complex optical subsystems.
- In-depth understanding of optical transmission issues, especially as they relate to systems with intelligent and highly automated optical layers. This includes dynamics of modules and components, fiber propagation issues and impairments from sources that are statistical in nature such as PMD.
- 5+ years' experience of working with optical performance parameters (bandwidth, IL, PDL, PMD, CD, ripple) and specification sensitivity and interdependencies - especially as they relate to agile optical networks.
- Experience with design and release to manufacturing of complex, integrated, optical subsystems.
- Experience with writing optical design specifications and test plans.
- Experience with a variety of test and measurement equipment including optical spectrum analyzers and interferometers.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with general fiber handling practices and working knowledge of optical coatings and optical component fabrication techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical for document creation and vendor interaction. Strong organization skills and data analysis skills are required.
- Proficiency with VB, Excel, database tools, GPIB equipment and product lifecycle management systems is required.
- Experience leading technical teams, mentoring junior engineers, and managing technical development projects is highly desired.