The Senior Network Engineer designs and supports networks in a large health care environment. As part of a team of senior network engineers and architects is responsible for all network designs and standards implemented across the PSJH system. Also responsible for planning, designing and implementing new WAN and LAN technology within the local and wide area infrastructure for all data, voice and network services.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assists in development and maintenance of network standards, procedures, and performance requirements for the enterprise infrastructure network environment.
- Designs the required business and technical configuration management processes to ensure network standards compliance across the enterprise. Assists in evaluating system designs, provides and implements recommendations to improve performance, productivity, functionality and decrease rework and duplication. Participates in key process improvements for all network environments throughout the organization. Coordinates network device configuration and management. Ensures that network devices comply with established policies, standards, licensing agreements, and configuration guidelines. Creates and maintains accurate technical and procedural documentation for support of voice and data systems.
- Partners with technical support staff to meet or exceed network service level goals. Maximize network service performance, and quickly resolve network outages escalated the network engineering. Participate in on call duties as assigned.
- Partners with business leaders and other key stakeholders to ensure network services are meeting the needs of the PSJH ministries. Assists in the design and review of new data, voice and/or telephony deployments. Defines and implements strategies for integrating data, voice and telephony technologies. Coordinates with data network engineering, data center engineering, voice communication, and business application functions to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of the network to meet corporate objectives.
- Ensures network designs and processes are in place to secure and protect the enterprise network. Establish network designs that comply with regulatory requirements. Provides input to policies, procedures and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure enterprise network security. Implements network infrastructure equipment with the highest degree of security to protect the business and clinical information of the organization.
- Collaborates effectively and consistently with peer network Engineers and Architects. Assists in coordination of integrated systems integrity between users of Information Services and third party software vendors or programmers. Participates in the development and adherence to project schedules.
- Comprehensive understanding of issues/concerns related to networking and/or telecom.
- Ability to methodologically and effectively troubleshoot and resolve solutions to a wide range of IOS, hardware, and connectivity failures. Able to provide solutions that are imaginative, thorough and practicable.
- Advanced understanding of when and how new and emerging technologies would solve a technical problem or enhance operational support services and the delivery of quality customer support services.
- Advanced demonstrated understanding of and practical experience with TCP/IP protocol suite, LAN/WAN technologies, switching, routing, structured cabling, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP and Telephony technologies.
- In depth understanding of and experience with real-time, interactive communications protocols and technologies, such as VoIP and telephony.
- In depth knowledge with all data/voice/video products provided by telecom vendors.
- In depth expertise of how applications and servers operate and impact network performance.
- In depth expertise of the principles of project management, and ability to act as a project manager in order to complete tasks.
- In depth expertise in the security issues/concerns related to networking and/or telecom.
- Skill in acting as subject matter expert in domains to all network engineers and management team.
- Advanced Avaya, Cisco and/or Juniper certifications required
Required qualifications for this position include:
- 5 years Enterprise LAN/WAN network design and support
- 5 years Enterprise network design and support
- 5 years Network application performance tuning
- Experience with TCP/IP networking, 802.11x WLAN design and support, LAN/WAN routing, Layer 2 switching, WLAN controller design and support, advanced network troubleshooting skills, advanced engineering documentation skills (topology and architectural diagrams, engineering guides, etc...), technical presentation skills, business solution mapping, function as a mentor and technical leader to less experienced IT staff.
- Wide application of principles, theories and concepts of the TCP/IP protocol suite, LAN/WAN technologies, switching, routing, structured cabling, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP and Telephony technologies.
- Expert in 802.11x wireless technology skills
- Expert TCP/IP protocol analysis
- Expert LAN and WAN router and switch configuration skills and experience
- Expert LAN and WAN enterprise network design skills and experience
- Current Avaya, Cisco and/or Juniper certifications required
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 5 years Information Technology support within a data center operations environment.
- 3 years Real-time application (VoIP, Video, etc…) wireless network design and support
- Experience with Cicso WAN optimizers, Cisco ASR routers, CISCO ACI and/or Meraki a plus.
- ITIL certification.