About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) is seeking a highly experienced and self-motivated Senior Natural Resources Project Manager to successfully guide projects from early planning and permitting through construction and restoration.Substantial experience in preparing and securing environmental permits in North Carolina and/or adjacent states is required.
SWCA offers a collaborative and team-oriented work environment and specializes in natural and cultural resources consulting nationwide.
What you will accomplish
As a senior member of the Natural Resources team, you will pursue and secure new business; manage large and technically complex projects; interface with clients and agencies; and supervise and mentor staff. You will be responsible for securing project permits and clearances in a timely and cost conscious manner through directing project teams in the field and office. Specifically, you will complete the following:
- Lead and support project proposal teams to bring in new business and provide clients with strategic solutions that suit specific project needs;
- Build positive and trusting relationships with clients through regular, responsive, and professional communications and successful project delivery;
- Lead or facilitate project meetings attended by clients, agencies, and the public to support a successful project outcome;
- Plan, implement, and/or guide the execution of natural resources field studies and data analysis, including using spatial tools to determine project locations, habitat types, and landforms;
- Prepare and/or direct the preparation of permit packages and supporting documents, such as resource reports, biological assessments, mitigation and monitoring plans, and other deliverables;
- Work closely with and direct task leads in other resources areas (cultural resources, air quality, GIS, etc.) and subcontractors to ensure all facets of multidisciplinary projects are completed on time and on budget; and
- Attend and/or present at local, regional and national conferences and forums.
Experience and qualifications for success
We seek a team member who brings with him/her demonstrated and extensive experience in all aspects of project management, environmental permitting, and agency consultation. Experience should include scoping complex, multidisciplinary projects in all phases of development or closeout; leading meetings with clients and agencies; directing project teams, including subcontractors, in the field and office to satisfy compliance requirements; preparing or directing staff in the preparation of permit packages; and setting and adhering to project budgets and delivery schedules. We seek the following specific qualities:
- A minimum of ten (10) years of project management experience in environmental consulting;
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in biology, environmental science, natural resource management, planning, geology or other science-related field;
- A robust comprehension of applicable federal and state environmental regulations, including Clean Water Act (CWA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and Endangered Species Act (ESA), and the ability to develop project execution plans to satisfy regulatory compliance;
- Experience in all aspects of federal and state-level natural resources permitting in North and South Carolina, including permits related to protected species and waters and the management of erosion and stormwater;
- Demonstrated and positive existing relationships with regulatory and resource management agencies in the region, at the state and federal levels, such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, N.C. Department of Transportation, NC Wildlife Resource Commission, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.