The Underwriter’s primary responsibilities will be to provide underwriting analysis of loans, supervise and review work of other offshore/onshore analysts, provide training and coordinate with clients. This is a role for an ambitious and intelligent individual who delights in their own and their team’s success. This position offers the opportunity to work in a multi-location and multicultural environment with teams spread across different countries. In this role you will be part of the presales activities for origination clients; meeting clients (involves approximately 30-40% travel).
- Analyze, interpret, and underwrite complex residential real estate transactions in compliance with respective agency guidelines within expected timeframes.
- Include appropriate documentation relating to the final underwriting decision.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with origination and closing departments as well as external agencies.
- Correspond with applicants, client representatives, and account holders on reasons for declines, additional information, and items concerning requests.
- Analyze customer’s credit information and make underwriting decisions per policy/guidelines.
- Review title and appraisal documentation for accuracy.
- Clear conditions once documentation requested have been satisfied.
- Contribute to assigned special projects by participating in department, product, and process improvement initiatives.
- Serve as a point person for managing assigned account relationships and expectations. Maintain high visibility through proactive account communication.
- Provide direction & training to our underwriting/customer service/endorsement & cancellation Staff (including offshore team).
- Coach agents on products, services, automation, and underwriting standards.
Key attributes of the incumbent
- Should have a minimum 10 years’ experience in mortgage credit underwriting, appraisal underwriting, underwriting QC review, agency due diligence, etc.
- Certified credentials in underwriting and in full appraisals. DE underwriter would be an added advantage.
- Should have experience in managing teams, training and coaching. An incumbent with experience in working with offshore teams would be plus.
- Should be good in documentation and process management.
- Ability to problem-solve and exercise independent judgment while displaying a high degree of initiative and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to organize & prioritize projects; complete multiple tasks on schedule.
- Ability to work productively under minimal supervision.