Located in our Plymouth, MN headquarters, the Senior Tooling & Molding Engineer will work closely with R&D and provide plastics expertise for both NPI and ongoing existing production support throughout North America. The individual in this role will also focus on continuity supply issues, procurement of beneficial new technologies and driving cost-savings.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Design, Development, evaluation, start-up and optimization of plastics processing equipment
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; identifying and conferring with equipment vendors.
- Detailed knowledge of machine/tooling design principles and tool fabrication processes
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes and the ability to translate that knowledge into reliable equipment designs that enhance Smiths Medical’s production capabilities
- Completes design and development projects by training and guiding technicians and engineers.
- Assists Manufacturing leadership team with capacity expansion plans and initiatives
- Able to work effectively across all levels of the organization
- Develop close working relationships with, and collaborate with, personnel at other Smiths Medical locations throughout North America.
- Meet deliverables of each assigned project to achieve time, cost and quality targets, monitoring progress and taking necessary action either to meet established unit cost targets.
- Effectively lead and contribute to projects as a member of a cross-functional project core team.
Required Skills andExperience
- Bachelor or Associatedegree in a Mechanical, Manufacturing, Plastics or Industrialengineering.
- 5-10 years minimum experience in plastics processing and manufacturing equipment selection, and product introduction, including coordinating activities and performing factory acceptance testing (FAT) at mold vendors.
- Preferred certification in Scientific Injection Molding (SIM) from Paulson, Bozzelli, RJG or other recognized training provider.
- Practical experience with Injection Molding Machines and ancillary equipment including machine operation, options, calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Robot integration and basic programming. Hot runner controllers, mold heaters, dryers, etc.
- Practical experience with machine shop equipment. Understanding of the principals of operation for equipment used in mold making.
- 5years experience in either mold design, mold making or mold repair.
- PreferredExperience: Project management, CADD/SolidWorks, Statistics Software (i.e. Minitab), SMED and Lean principles, DOE, wide range of knowledge in extrusion, forming, molding, etc.
- Experienceworking with FDA regulated products.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence others.
- Materials knowledge of plastics and metals and how the mechanical properties influence processing capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Strong attention to detail