We are hiring a Sr. Modeling & Simulation Engineer in our Minneapolis office! This Sr. Engineer will build system models of electrified transport refrigeration devices to support the development of reliable & efficient market-leading Thermo King products. This role will also lead advancement of Thermo King’s system modeling capabilities, working in collaboration with global Engineering teams.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Plan, execute and supervise simulations using credible system and component models of appropriate fidelity. Provide guidance for decision-making. Advise and collaborate with product platform, controls, component, test, data science, component vendors and other stakeholders throughout model lifecycle.
- Working with global teams, external partners and key stakeholders, prioritize and lead initiatives for modeling capability improvement aligned with product roadmap and business needs, especially relating to electrical systems. Accelerate and mature application and impact of Model-Based Systems Engineering to product development.
- Provide mentoring and technical coaching to grow global team skills and capability in system modeling. Be an enthusiastic advocate of model-driven engineering. Stay current with emerging trends and advancements. Develop into a recognized technical authority in your field.
- 10% overnight travel is anticipated.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and at least 5 years of experience with R&D, modeling and/or testing of electrical and other physical systems is required.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Engineering is strongly preferred.
- Strong advanced formal knowledge of electrical physics, devices and systems is required.
- Significant electrical modeling experience at the system and component level, as well as strong scripting and programming skills, are required.
- Understanding of systems engineering and MBSE principles is required, along with the desire and ability to learn and lead growth in this area. Significant experience with the formal use of model-based languages (e.g., SysML) to support key system engineering activities in product development is a strong plus.
- Experience and comfort with bridging and integrating multiple subsystems, physics domains, tools, and varying model detail/fidelity at the system level is required, or the desire and demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Experience with leading and supervising system model development and related deliverables for large product development projects, involving close coordination with multiple stakeholder and support teams, is required, or the desire and demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Experience with common industry standard physics-based modeling tools like Dymola/Modelica, Simscape, Amesim and GT Suite, and commonly used numerical methods and related modeling processes, is required, or the demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Excellent communication, teamwork and time management skills are required.
- Experience with electrical hardware testing and model validation is a strong plus.
- Experience with refrigeration systems/components and modeling is a strong plus.
- Experience with modern controls principles, controls modeling, and Simulink is a plus.