Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Senior Mine Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner
- Establish, execute and effectively monitor short-term (daily and 3M) and long-term (reserves and life of mine) plans that supports the growth of the operation
- Facilitate weekly planning meetings, with key personnel, to coordinate activities in order to meet goals
- Oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including planning, surface and underground infrastructure, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation and reporting
- Monitor the underground activities to coordinate and prioritize the planning goals
- In consultation with the mine team, plan alternative optimized methods of ore extraction, stope access and mining sequence, detailing the costs, benefits and issues with each approach and makes recommendations to the team
- Oversee and signoff on month-end engineering reports and hourly bonus calculations
- Monitor compliance and ensure adherence to applicable engineering codes, regulations, safety and environmental practices, performance standards and specifications
- Assist in the development of the annual mine site budget and quarterly forecasts, with support from stakeholders
- Contribute to strategic long term mine planning sessions, with input from all stakeholders
- Coordinate mine engineering work with that of geology, ground control, ventilation and mine operators. Work closely with the operating and technical groups to support optimum utilization of resources.
- Troubleshoot problems that arise; analyze and recommend solutions so that mining will proceed according to plan.
- In consultation with the mine team, develop alternative methods of ore extraction; this will include assessing stope access, mining sequence, detailed costs, benefits and issues with each approach and making recommendations to the team.
- Assist with underground mining studies, including cost estimates
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures in engineering
- Participate actively in training programs, personal improvement, and job improvement initiatives.
- Continually develop the ability, knowledge and skills necessary to keep up with the changing methods and technology in the job.
- Assist with special projects that arise within the planning and projects teams.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Must possess accreditation as a fully qualified Professional Engineer in good standing and a minimum of 6 to 8 years of related work experience after graduation.
- Leadership and initiative as well as innovative and analytical thinking.
- Strong background in narrow-vein, long-hole and conventional mining methods is essential
- Experience with cemented rock fill (CRF) and paste fill would be considered an asset
- Experience with UG water management would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations
- Strong communication skills
- Strong computer skills are required including the ability to use and create excel spreadsheets and work with scheduling programs. Excellent skills are required in the use of Computer Aided Design programs such as A Mine, EPS, AutoCAD and others
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Project)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills are required. The ability to relate to both operations and engineering in a team approach is essential to success.
- Underground Mining experience is required.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.