ultracurious – Apply your biggest ideas in courageous ways
The Senior Medical Science Liaison is a member of a field-based team of scientists who function as an extension of the Medical Affairs organization. Senior Medical Science Liaisons are responsible for developing and enhancing professional relationships with medical thought leaders involved in various phases of product development as well as key medical organizations including treatment centers of excellence and established societies and associations. Senior Medical Science Liaisons provide medical information through scientific exchange in a fair-balanced manner and provide clinical/scientific support to the company. Senior Medical Science Liaisons exhibit the ability to proactively identify and help resolve team-wide challenges and significantly contribute to the success of the field medical organization.
This is a field-based position and requires professionals with established personal and scientific creditability to interact with thought leaders and centers of excellence. This Senior Medical Science Liaisons position will support company’s products in development and brands as their primary responsibility. The ideal candidate will possess an understanding of rare diseases development and a strong sense of science and business acumen.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Identify Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), and establish and maintain scientific relationships with KOLs; connecting to KOLs in academic and community centers
- Act as primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator initiated research
- Provide medical information through scientific exchange and disseminate scientific publications
- Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with regional and national plans
- Provide clinical disease state presentations to key stakeholders including Payers
- Collaborate with the Clinical Development organization to enhance patient enrollment in company-sponsored clinical trials by identifying appropriate clinical trial sites and interacting with investigators in ongoing studies
- Provide scientific and medical information updates
- Provide scientific support at medical congresses and staff disease state booths
- Provide timely feedback/information on emerging clinical/scientific teams and opportunities to internal stakeholders
- Increase company awareness and introduce Ultragenyx to the Medical Community
- Seek out opportunities to support the MSL value proposition, achieve results and set an example for others to follow by consistently demonstrating Ultragenyx cultural attributes and core competencies
- Provide scientific support for appropriate educational initiatives
- Ensure all activities are compliant with company policies and SOPs.
- Working with vendors to create MSL resources
- Working with Medical Information to create tools and resources
- Demonstrates leadership capabilities and impact on initiatives across broader field medical team (e.g., mentors/on-boards/coaches new MLs who become high performers; champion of documentation systems and processes, builds engagement around coaching and self-development; provides and supports scientific and clinical training across Ultragenyx and externally)
- Facilitates continuous improvement across broader field medical team (e.g., special projects; achieves a goal that sets a new standard for stakeholder interactions across groups)
- Appropriate collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- Advanced degree in clinical specialty (MD, PhD, PharmD) and 5 years of MSL experience strongly preferred. If non-doctoral degree, at least 5 years of previous MSL and relevant disease state clinical and/or genetic experiencestrongly preferred.
- Rare disease experience preferred, particularly in metabolic bone and/or metabolic genetic diseases
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills required
- Demonstrated experience effectively presenting clinical/scientific information required
- Expert understanding of the health care delivery system and its impact on patient care and regional medical care
- Values based collaborator – respectful, accountable and collaborative
- Ability to relate and work with a wide range of people to achieve results
- Ability to organize and prioritize own work schedule
- Ability to make decisions which have a significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations, and services
- Ability to create materials such as reports, presentations for inside and outside the organization, and present/speak to groups
- Time and territory management skills required
- Approximately 50-60% travel is required; overnight travel is required as needed
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We understand that diversity of thought, culture and background will help us do the best for our patients. We prohibit unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.