Perkins Coie is seeking an accomplished Senior Media Relations Manager to join its Marketing team. This position is responsible for developing and leading execution of strategic media and public relations activities to drive brand awareness and firm growth. The candidate will work to position the firm’s business activities, practice areas, sectors, lawyers, diversity, pro bono and community service efforts in the news media and social media.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Bring a high level of expertise and leadership to the development, management and execution of a broad range of media and public relations activities.
- Play a key role in planning and managing the firm’s thought leadership strategy, including: working closely with lawyers and Marketing staff to identify media opportunities for lawyers, study legal media coverage as well as key client industries in order to identify trends and opportunities, and work with the broader Communications team to develop and distribute media coverage across channels, including social media.
- Manage incoming press inquiries to the firm and ensure that coverage is shared and leveraged across various channels to amplify their impact.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with journalists who cover issues of importance to the firm and its clients. Coordinate interviews and meetings with reporters and lawyers.
- Serve as the firm’s key spokesperson with the press.
- Manage responses to firm surveys and award nominations and provide oversight of the appropriate PR team involvement.
- Manage and provide active involvement with the firm’s public relations agency. Ensure the relationship is maximized with regular tracking and reporting of progress.
Specific Skills Required:
- Strong leadership experience of the media relations and PR function, including experience overseeing and leading a relationship with outside resources.
- Experience in tracking and reporting metrics on media relations activity.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills and ability to handle sensitive matters with excellent judgment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with lawyers and law firm leaders, particularly in media training/coaching.
- Ability to foster and deepen relationships with the business and legal press—having current relationships is a plus.
- Ability to manage the day to day demands of the position
- Ability to shift quickly to accommodate rapidly changing events.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Journalism.
- 8-10 years of experience managing public relations and media relations activity—prior experience of meaningful length in law firms or the legal industry, financial services or the technology sector is a significant plus.
- Prior experience with leading or executing social media activity/strategy highly desired.
This position requires some degree of travel.
Perkins Coie LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veterans, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.