Tennant Company is a recognized leader of the cleaning industry. Since 1870 we have been passionate about developing innovative and sustainable solutions that help our customers clean more spaces more effectively, addressing indoor and outdoor cleaning challenges. Our products include equipment for maintaining surfaces in industrial, commercial and outdoor environments; detergent-free and other sustainable cleaning technologies; cleaning tools and supplies; and coatings for protecting, repairing and upgrading surfaces. With more than $1B in revenue, Tennant Company operates in three geographic business units including the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Africa and Asia Pacific. Join the company committed to empowering our customers to create a cleaner, safer and healthier world with high-performance cleaning solutions that minimize waste, reduce costs, improve safety and further sustainability goals.
The Senior Mechatronics Engineer will be instrumental in the development of innovative concepts and next generation IP. As a Senior Mechatronics Engineer within Advanced Technology Development (ATD) you will be responsible for managing and owning individual ATD technology projects reporting on key metrics, schedules and deliverables. In this role you will use your mechanical, electrical/software and robotics knowledge to work on autonomous and semi-autonomous technologies while creating a bridge for various subject matter experts to come together. If you consider yourself a forward thinker with a creative mindset and enjoy having the freedom to explore, than this is the role for you.
- Performs mechatronics engineering calculations and analyses to model and predict technologies in preparation of commercialization
- Leads/participates in Design Reviews, Risk assessments and technology reviews
- Subject matter expert in developed innovations
- Utilizes laboratory and field test data to correlate and validate analytical models.
- Utilizes experience from the development of mechanized, robotically engineered and commercially viable technologies
- Understands technology trends; providing recommendations and opportunities for future technology developments
- Create cutting-edge, leading industry technologies capable of being commercialized.
- Conceptual, visual, physical and analytical creation of new technologies within the mechanized cleaning industry
- Identify customer needs either through direct observations, ethnographic research reports, Product Management direction, etc. and translate these into technical ideas, requirements and ultimately prototype concepts, products or solutions
- Develop validation plans and validation cases to evaluate business value and performance of new technologies
- Coordinate or partner to develop and execute field test research, and develop reports to various stakeholders
- Review and author patents and other intellectual property documents
- Follow Technology Scouting methodologies to investigate new and emerging technologies
- Perform technical due-diligence to evaluate third-party providers of new technologies
- Develop in a fast prototyping mindset
- Communicate results and findings of ATD activities in a format and language expected by the various stakeholders
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of design engineering experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience with mechatronics system design and controls preferred
- Broad technical knowledge in the design and development of electro-mechanical systems with additional knowledge in Robotics, Systems or Controls Engineering
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make data based decisions.
- Working knowledge with computer aided design software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Strong communication of technical performance in both written and verbal presentations to stakeholders.