We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to work with the STS Conventional Facility design team to create world class building designs for scientific facilities. The Mechanical Engineer will execute and oversee the design, construction, installation, and commissioning of the air and water side of building mechanical systems for facilities across the STS project. The Mechanical Engineer ensures that the assigned design scope conforms to systems requirements, properly incorporates critical equipment and system interfaces, and meets ORNL expectations for safety and quality.
As part of our research team, you will...
- Develop the facility mechanical design requirements of the STS facilities beginning with the conceptual design through design completion and commissioning of the systems.
- Provide mechanical engineering expertise in design of building / central utility plant boilers and chillers, facility HVAC custom units, and industrial exhaust systems and HEPA filter systems.
- Provide mechanical engineering design expertise in the design of industrial piping for technical cooling of process equipment, heat exchanges, chilled water distribution systems and balancing, steam distribution, compressed air, and industrial gas piping systems.
- Provide mechanical design expertise in utilization of energy efficiency techniques and sustainability components to achieve sustainability and energy reduction goals by evaluating and combining potential energy efficiencies of mechanical system design approaches.
- Perform review of engineering drawings, shop drawing review's, and ensuring corrections are completed and drawings are updated. Verify corrections are made within multiple CAD related software platforms.
- Provide support and guidance to sub-project teams for uniformity across all facility designs.
- Provide proficiency in creating and implementing systems requirements documents, and interface control documents in support of design basis documentation.
- Provide mechanical design requirements for project work/execution plans, Building Information Modeling (BIM) requirements, and other required project plans to ensure deliverables are designed to meet project requirements.
- Develop and implement safe design and construction principles to ensure the facility is constructed safely and can be operated within a safe environment.
- Inspect construction work for compliance with design requirements using field verifications, and quality assurance reviews, interface with contracted AE design firm, STS technical systems teams, ORNL support organizations, and the broader CF team of Construction Management/General Contractors (CM/GC), Estimators, and Commissioning consultants to develop accurate and precise designs.
- Provide engineering expertise to develop system requirements, and design reviews by performing and participating in the following activities:
- Technical and feasibility studies of systems and components
- Technical Specifications
- Systems Requirements Documents
- Interface Control Documents
- CAD models
- Design and Analysis Calculations (DACs)
- Test and Commissioning Plans
- Submittals and Requests for Information
- Construction drawings
- Ensure that designs of building HVAC and exhaust systems, piping, technical/process equipment cooling systems, and compressed air and specialty gas systems are technically accurate, complete, and integrated into project designs.
- Utilize BIM modeling to ensure project estimates and construction schedules are complete and accurate.
- Deliver project milestones based on CF work plans.
- Represent the STS Project by participating in and presenting project information at reviews, conferences, and workshops.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited program with a minimum of 7+ years of applicable building and industrial facility design experience.
- Proven success in leading engineering tasks such as the design of building HVAC and exhaust systems, piping, technical/process equipment cooling systems, and compressed air and specialty gas systems.
- Knowledgeable of national codes and standards (ASHRAE, ASME, ANSI, NFPA, etc.) applicable to building mechanical design elements.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work collaboratively with AE firms, CM/GC's, project managers, and fellow technical / stakeholder team members.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and AutoCAD, BIM (Revit), Solidworks/CREO platforms, 3D Rendering Programs, hydraulic analysis, and HVAC analysis programs.
- Strong analytical skills, with a high level of accuracy in calculations and design work in a quantitative problem-solving, computational fluid dynamics, and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Must be available for some domestic and international travel.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited program with a minimum of 10+ years of applicable building and industrial facility design experience.
- Profession Engineer (PE) license
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with Navisworks, Revit, and Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Experience with both government and commercial design and construction projects
- Prior project experience with projects managed under the DOE Order 413.3B, Program and Project Management for the Acquisition of Capital Assets and DOE Guides
- Demonstrated progressively higher levels of responsibility.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville