- Design of mechanical and electromechanical components and assemblies using Solidworks.
- Create drawings and hardware specification documents.
- Generate workflow and process instructions.
- Analyze the tolerance (GD&T) of mechanical components and assemblies.
- Understand the needs of customers in biologics markets.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify gaps in product offerings.
- Translate project requirements and customer needs into design concepts
- Perform static and dynamic mechanics analysis, stress simulations, air flow studies and dimensional tolerance.
- Work with suppliers on the fabrication of prototype and final parts (machined components, sheet metal components, mechanical systems, testing fixtures, manufacturing fixtures, and molded components).
- Coordinate designs with other key functions including Assay, Optical, Electrical and Systems Engineering.
- Perform system build, testing and mechanical debug
- Attend customer / site visits and some offsite meetings (up to ~10% travel)
- 7+ years of direct mechanical engineering experience
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience with optics, fluidics, pneumatics, and industrial design is a plus.
- Proven, hands-on mechanical aptitude.
- Excellent mechanical troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with instrumentation used in the Life Sciences.
- Experience in planning and conducting voice of customer (VoC) studies to align with customers’ needs to drive product specifications.
- Experience working successfully in a team environment
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Strong preference for candidates with previous experience in regulated industries (medical, industrial, automotive, etc) and product verification and validation.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to model and analyze design in Solidworks
- Understands basic thermal dynamics, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis.
- Familiarity with various ideation methodologies and design for manufacturing principles.
- Ability to author and present design concepts to engineering, marketing, scientist, and management.
- Works effectively in both a cross-functional team environment and independently.