Denver International Airport is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Airport Infrastructure Management Team (AIM). In this role you will assist the engineering and maintenance staff in design and project management of multiple operational and maintenance projects from inception to completion. You will have the ability to tune and optimize system designs and operation, and work on large campus systems with diverse usages. You will be involved in every aspect of the technical system life-cycle including: planning, design, construction, and operation. The ideal candidate will have previous airport experience in mechanical and process systems, and HVAC, plumbing, energy conservation and fire protection experience.
The Technical Programs and Systems Team is responsible for all building structure maintenance and repair, design and construction. Design oversight includes both in-house designs, and designs produced by architectural and engineering consultants. In conjunction with other AIM Development teams, this group is also responsible for putting together all engineering documents for construction including the contractor bidding process. For those projects which do not specifically deal with the modifications of MEP systems, this position will interface as a member of the overall facilities team in the execution of those projects. For projects which primarily involve MEP systems, this position will manage the design and construction as a full services project.
- Performs full performance professional level engineering work on a variety of large and complex engineering projects and assignments from inception to completion, which includes reviewing construction plans and designs for conformance and compliance, providing technical engineering oversight and guidance, coordinating project phases, and recommends solutions to complex engineering issues and problems.
- Works with stakeholders both internal and external to the city, which includes attending neighborhood meetings, working with intergovernmental organizations, interacting with utility companies, other city agencies and departments, elected officials, and works with consultants and contractors.
- Prepares project bid materials and cost estimates, which includes evaluating bid qualifications and proposals, and works with stakeholders on project designs, concepts, and timeframes for project completion.
- Acts as a team lead on projects and assignments, coordinates the work for contractors and consultants, assists inspectors with difficult or unusual code compliance issues, keeps team member focused on tasks and assignments, and allocates resources effectively.
- Oversees and directs design and construction coordination meetings involving private development projects and city capital improvement projects to lead the development process and ensure the timely approval and completion of projects.
- Designs capital improvements projects involving the HVAC, process piping, storm and wastewater drainage infrastructure.
- Prepares project budgets in the planning and design phase, determines work plans and schedules, monitors project budgets and expenditures throughout construction, and ensures project deliverables stay on-time and target, ensures quality control, and the project stays on budget.
- Performs project management work on complex projects, which includes monitoring overall construction and design, tracking project schedules, overseeing costs and expenses, ensuring compliance and conformance to engineering standards within contract specifications, and confers with management on risks, costs, and allocation of resources within the various phase of the project.
- Reviews and evaluates blueprints, architectural drawings, design plans, and project development documents for permits, which includes the review and approval of traffic control plans for street occupancy permits.
- Prepares a variety of engineering studies, correspondences, and reports, for wastewater and storm drainage projects, capital improvements projects, prepares feasibility studies, reviews consultant proposals and contracts, develops project communications plans.
- Reviews projects to ensures compliance with engineering codes and standards, monitors projects for quality, identifies strategies to overcome barriers, ensures materials comply with project specifications, reviews calculations, and performs field and site inspections.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Any one position may not include all of the duties listed. However, the allocation of positions will be determined by the amount of time spent in performing the essential duties listed above.
Our Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience working in large multifaceted facilities such as: airports, college campuses, hospitals, etc.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in Engineering Department/Program Management
- Previous experience in the career development/guidance and management of professional staff.
- Ability to articulate strategies in a clear, concise and decisive manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with peers, superiors, subordinates, and customers.
- LEED and PMP Certifications.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Engineering
- Experience: Three years of professional engineering work experience after obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license. (Some positions may require experience in a specific engineering area)
- Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Licensure and Certification: By position, requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Or requires registration as an Architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.