Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Since the aerosol can revolutionized consumer products in the 1940s, Ball has refined and improved the technology to suit today’s needs. We recently developed a new metal alloy that reduces the weight of our aluminum aerosol cans by as much as 15%. We also breathed new air into aerosol technology with the introduction of our next generation of tinplate aerosol packaging, which is helping us meet and exceed our customers’ growing expectations.
Metal food packaging has set the standard for freshness and preservation for well over a century, and we continue to push boundaries and innovate in this sector. What excites us most is the sustainability advantages that metal packaging provides. It is one of the most environmentally friendly and economical forms of packaging.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue torevolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment.
This position sits at our Columbus, OH plant
** Relocation available **
Research & Development: Ball’s Food and Aerosol container division’s North American R&D Packaging Laboratory is being relocated to Columbus, Ohio. This facility will be the focal point of research and innovation where new packaging, processes, and materials are designed, tested, and analyzed by our engineering and scientist staff. Directly participate in this work using CAD (SolidWorks), FEA, and analytical equipment. There will be opportunity to engage in a wide range of engineering work, from prediction of theoretical performance of new containers, through Tool-and-Die design, to manufacture, testing, and analysis of the new containers. Additionally, manufacturing machinery dynamics and loading will be studied. Working in R&D at Ball offers a spectrum of engineering experience under one roof in a “hands-on” laboratory environment.
Primary Purpose of Position
Provides technical support for the production engineering function as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and assists in establishment of job priorities, plans activities, schedules, and guides coordinators, drafters, and designers.
- Responsible for providing technical support and pertinent information to plants, licensees, joint ventures,customers, and other engineering groups.
- Participates in troubleshooting investigations and corrective action of container and closure product and product-related equipment.
- Investigates, develops, and implements closure container-related cost improvements in material usage, operating practices and equipment utilization.
- Plans and performs programs to ensure that our present and future products will be competitive. Examines the cost of materials and processes with a goal of increasing quality and reducing overall manufacturing costs through evolutionary development programs.
- Coordinates and participates in project implementation, installation, check-out, tune-up, and start-up of new equipment.
- Develops and reviews equipment specifications and recommends criteria to manufacturing.
- Assures and performs proper acceptance inspections of new equipment.
- Provides liaison and technical support to other disciplines of production engineering and other departments.
- Investigates and prepares AFE level cost estimates.
- Manages small scope projects from AFE preparation through installation and start-up. Determines multidiscipline engineering needs and coordinates project schedule.
- Initiates and updates product, tooling, metal, and packaging specifications and designs and disseminates this information.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for your area of responsibility.
- Maintains the professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge and skills necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with all environmental management requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining awareness of technical progress in general engineering, container and closure tooling products and metal forming technology.
- Initiates technical meetings to review problems and improvements to supplies, plants, licensees, and joint ventures.
- Maintains technical liaison with suppliers.
- Evaluates, qualifies, and implements products and product design from internal development, suppliers, competitors, and technical institutions for the plant line evaluation.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually 5 days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday), working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- It is the essential function of the job that the individual will not be a direct threat to the health or safety of themselves, others, or property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements and working conditions set forth in this position description.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Minimum Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in can making or a related field
- Tool and die experience
- Proficient in Solidworks 3d drafting platform
- GD&T experience preferred
- Hands on machine shop proficiency
- CNC programming and operation preferred
- Must be willing to relocate to Columbus, OH
- We will pay relocation cost