Senior Mechanical Engineer who will support the design and development of robotic systems for medical applications. This Mechanical Engineer will work closely with engineers from other teams in order to design and develop robotic equipment that meets clinical, user, and safety requirements.
Core Job Responsibilities
• As a member of the Advanced Development Mechanical Engineering team, you will contribute to the development of a robotic platform for surgical applications focusing on large systems, complex actuators, structural designs, instrument manipulators, instrument interfaces, robotic setup joint systems and electronic packaging.
• Design and create electromechanical prototypes using in-house rapid prototyping capabilities.
• Provide hands-on, troubleshooting, process and manufacturing support as well as designing, implementing, integrating and testing hardware solutions in a fast pace environment with a quick development cycle.
• Create design solutions utilizing engineering methods with good documentation processes, releasing design documentation through an ECO process.
• Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall project goals.
• As the company grows, you will be responsible for sustaining certain aspects of production (including new features, yield improvements, DFM, process related cost reductions, etc.)
• Must be capable of working independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to revolutionize the world of medical robotics.
• BSME or similar required, MSME preferred. Minimum of 5 years of working experience designing and building electromechanical systems and robots.
• Proven experience with complex mechanisms and automation.
• Ideal candidate has experience designing simple solutions for complex medical products that meet or exceed patient and physician needs.
• Proven experience with both high and low power, small and large brushed and brushless motors, various encoder and sensor types and electro-mechanical brakes.
• Proven experience with drivetrain-related components such as gears, lead screws, splines, cams, linear guides, belts and pulleys.
• Comfortable with all phases of product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification & validation, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing.
• Proven experience and proficiency using CAD to design and document both large and small parts and assemblies. SolidWorks experience preferred. Experience with PDM and/or Agile EC a plus.
Familiarity with making drawings and applicable drawing standards.
• Hands-on with the proven ability to work well in a team environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes (including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, sand casting, cast urethane, etc.)
• Mechanical design and analysis skills including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis.
• Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
• Experience with designing hardware products in an FDA or other regulated industry; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Familiarity with IEC-60601-1 a strong plus.