Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its appliedtechnology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer applies advanced technical knowledge to the division’s engineering and design activities under the direction of a Project Engineer, Staff Engineer, or Project Manager. The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will also be required to interact with other ADTECH personnel including those in QA, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Shipping and Receiving, as necessary to provide engineering support to ADTECH manufacturing, integration, and test activities.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer designs materials, structures, and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety, and cost. This work is performed in an ISO-9000 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Determines the design concept and/or project approach based on evaluation of detailed or performance specifications
- Determines, experimentally or analytically, which technologies or approaches may be applicable
- Defines test and certification requirements, and evaluates results to determine specification compliance
- Develops a workable project plan by establishing and defining the sublevels of applicable WBS elements and by determining their interdependencies
- Executes the plan including overseeing and integrating the design activities of team members, subcontractors, and vendors, monitoring budget and schedule performance; developing work-arounds, and statusing Project Management
- Provides design or technical support to the Project Team or other functional groups as required by the Project Manager
- May lead sub-systems design team(s)
- May supervise Technicians and Drafters on a regular basis.
- May supervise Titled Engineers on specific projects.
- Supports the Project Manager in the technical definition of subcontractor and/or vendor activities which may form a part of the design activity
- Assists the Project Manager in the support of the customer, including preparation of proposals, change requests, design reviews and other requirements related to the project
- Interprets, analyzes and advises during the preparation of feasibility studies and during the selection and application of components
- Provides information and directs the preparation of design documentation
- Uses engineering techniques and judgment, based on experience, to work complex problems requiring in-depth analysis and evaluation
- Defines test and program requirements and conducts negotiations and/or exchanges as may be deemed necessary to obtain full agreement for these requirements by all concerned.
- Test requirements specifically include:
- Definition of test parameters which provide the basis of design of special equipment when needed, and
- Preparation of detailed plans and procedures which serve to control the manner by which the test is conducted.
- Prepares reports on resulting data provided by test functions and program accomplishments
- May perform other duties as required by the Program.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to Supervisor of Design Engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from accredited college or university; advanced degreepreferred; additional professional certifications preferred.
- 10-20years experience
- Ability to combine engineering skills with experience and judgment to problem solving on new or new types of tasks
- Ability to perform, train and mentor other engineers
- Has complete knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PeopleSoft, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks.
- Analytical, mathematical, and/or mechanical skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret procedures or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Must have analytical, mathematical, and/or mechanical skills
- Must be team-oriented
- Ability to work with a significant degree of independence
- Possesses and applies an advanced knowledge of engineering principles and practices in all related engineering fields of the company.
- May have achieved a nationally/internationally recognized professional standing in a selected technical field.
- Demonstrates well-developed leadership qualities.
- 20% travel may be required during certain stages of projects
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Desireddegrees etc.
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Job tasks are performed in close proximity to other people