The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) organization is seeking Mechanical Design Engineers to join the VC-25B Presidential Aircraft team located in Tukwila, WA.
This position will support the design and modifications of the airstair system. Your duties as an engineer will include (but are not limited to):
- Development and documentation of structure and mechanical subsystems to be used on the aircraft airstair system
- Mechanical component and system design, analysis, and integration. Use of the tools required for design, analysis, evaluation, and integration (i.e. computer aided design systems, mathematical modeling software, tolerance analysis software).
- Coordinate electrical requirements with electrical engineering team for powering components and providing required indications to other aircraft systems
- Negotiate interfaces and provide required data to design teams working on surrounding structure.
- Lead supplier management efforts for airstairs detail component machining, power drive unit, gearbox, latch actuator, and snubber. Use of project and supplier techniques (e.g., design reviews, schedule reviews, production readiness) required for the management of the supplier's technical activities (e.g., design, development, test). The ability to develop technical requirements and evaluate supplier performance as related to those requirements. The ability to distinguish between requirements and objectives and to balance between those requirements and the supplier's capabilities and limitations. Capable of working effectively with supplier technical team in assessing product/system issues or designs.
- Coordinate with Manufacturing Engineers on airstairs Manufacturing Methods and fabrication processes (e.g., forming, stamping, machining, heat treatment, machines/machine tools,). Ability to select the best method of producing parts, tools or assemblies.
- Coordinate with Materials and Processes on material selection for metals (e.g., welding forging, heat treat, machining, forming), sealants and finishes processing (e.g., plating, painting, surface preparation, fay surface sealing, fillet sealing).
- Supporting the resolution of product integration issues and production/modification anomalies
- Direct, delegate and ensure performance of assigned responsibilities and tasks as a project team leader in support of the overall large scale and complex projects. Identifies and resolves any issues and provide solutions and or recommendations to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Other duties may include cross-team collaboration on concurrent Mechanical System Design with the Cargo Baggage loader, Fuels, and/or Hydraulics.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Commercial Derivative Aircraft
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 9 or more years' experience, Master's with 7 or more years' experience or PhD with 4 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
- Experience working withelectrical schematics and wire diagrams
- Experience leading a team of engineers
- Experience using Earned Value Management (EVM) to manage a project
- Experience reviewing, commenting, resolving & approving technical designs and data packages
- Experience in developing design concepts and techniques (e.g., concurrent engineering, Design for Manufacture/Assembly [DFM/A]).
- Experience utilizing drawing/data systems (e.g., ""used on"" drawings, part relationships, product data management) and configuration management principles and processes (e.g., part number control, revision level, naming conventions, product identification numbering systems).
- Experience in creating comprehensive multi-tiered project schedules for significant Business Unit projects; identifies time frames for key project milestones and ensure alignment of sub tier activities for overall project visibility, tracking and completion. Directs and manages very complex project schedules requiring interfacing with multi regional or international activities. Independently identifies project resource requirements, integrate and direct multi project elements into a single collective overall project plan. Collaborates with others on the most complex projects assigned.
- Experience of verification, validation, FAA certification and qualificationprocesses and procedures, including knowledge of governing regulations (FARs) and compliance requirements. Ability to assess and document test or analysis data to show compliance.
Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in Mechanical, Aeronautical/Aerospace, Structural, or Civil Engineering is required.
5 or more years Mechanical design experience is required.
3 or more years of Experience using CATIA and ENOVIA is required.
1 or more years of supplier management support experience is required.
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.