Sensata designs and packages sense elements and signal conditioning electronics to translate physical parameters (pressure, temperature, speed, position) into signals that are used to control mission critical systems in automotive applications. Sense elements, electronics and packaging are highly engineered to ensure world class performance with best-in-class quality. A focus on design and development on Micro-fused semiconductor silicon strain gage Sense Element Assembly (SEA), and close partnership with our process engineering teams in Attleboro and make site in China is an essential component of the value that we deliver to our customers.
For this position, we are seeking anexperiencedmechanical engineer with designexperience in electromechanical or sensors products. The ideal candidate will have both world class technical talent and an exceptional ability to communicate, build relationships and work in global cross-functional teams. Themechanical design engineer will lead R&D, new innovational product development activity as well as product lifecycle management activity. The engineer will have full ownership of sensor design and will beresponsiblefor technology selection, concept development and validation.
Job Responsibilities Include:
• Full ownership of mechanical sensor design and development activity.
• Research and development (R&D) for existing and new technology-based products, and with special focus on Micro-Fused Semiconductor silicon strain gage sensors.
• Own and drive FEA analysis on state of the art designs, enabling early optimization prior to production.
• Analysis of concepts using six sigma methodology and rapid prototyping methods.
• FMEA development, assessment of risk, clear understanding of design for manufacturability.
• Validation testing of prototype and production sensors.
• Continuous improvement and cost reduction projects.
• MS in Mechanical Engineering and 5+ years of design experience in sensors or electro-mechanical products, or PhD with 0 - 3 years’ relevant experience.
• Strong understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles in all areas and the ability to apply principles flexibly in a variety of situations.
• Extensive knowledge of Mechanics, Strength and Materials, Heat Transfer.
• Proficient with 3D Modeling and CAD (Solidworks preferred).
• Excellent experience of FEA for stress, vibration, and heat transfer.
• Experience in supplier management and detailed understanding of injection molding, stamping, welding, machining and other manufacturing methods.
• Excellent engineering experience and knowledge to drive the design & validation of sensors for the automotive industry.
• Strong understanding of GD&T, tolerance stacks and RSS method.
• Ability to plan and execute Design of Experiments, analyze data.
• Familiarity with Six Sigma, problem solving methodology, Ishikawa diagrams.
• Working knowledge of DC Circuits.
• Passion for creativity and innovation; persistence and drive to solve challenging problems and overcome obstacles.
• Strong ability to plan, execute, control and document project progress using MS-Office Standard Software.
• Commitment to excellence, unwavering integrity and a passion to excel in a results driven, fast passed environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills - fluent in English.