VF Corporation outfits consumers around the world with its diverse portfolio of iconic lifestyle brands, including Vans®, The North Face®, Timberland®, Dickies®. Founded in 1899, VF is one of the world's largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. We're committed to delivering innovative products to consumers and creating long-term value for our customers and shareholders.
We are a purpose-led company that seeks not only to succeed in business, but also to leverage our success and resources to make the world better. Through our brands and nearly 70,000 associates around the world, we power movements of sustainable and active lifestyles for the betterment of people and our planet. We are movement makers. It's who we are and have always been.
Powerful brands that are fueled by insights and innovation put us at the heart of our consumers' lives. Many of our brands lead their respective categories, and some have risen to iconic status.
While our company and brands are diverse, we work together within a One VF culture to capitalize on our greatest opportunities for long-term performance. Across our company, a collaborative, global mindset differentiates our products and the unique experiences we provide to our consumers. It all adds up to a lasting competitive advantage built on harnessing the power of our differences to achieve great things together, all while positively impacting the lives of hundreds of millions of people and the world.
Senior Materials Developer - Operations: Become the Newest Member of the VF Family
As part of Global Innovation Center, Advanced Manufacturing Team, you will work collaboratively on innovation projects that impact textile, apparel, and additive manufacturing processes as we transition to the 4th Industrial Revolution. The Advanced Manufacturing team is focused on a 'first principles' to re-inventing manufacturing flexibility and demand responsiveness to integrate the relationship between products and consumers, while driving reductions in inventory, waste, and resource intensity regarding water, energy, and chemistry.
Your work within the team will be focused on directly managing the development of new textile materials and processes through both conventional and new digitally driven, highly automated methods of make. You will work in concert with Innovation Operations, Global Innovation, Global Supply Chain, and domestic and international materials suppliers to align on projects that maximize enterprise value. You will be expected to leverage your extensive technical expertise and 'hands on' industry experience to create and execute projects against timelines. Your innovation focus will range from incremental to disruptive in the areas of technology, process, and product.
How You Will Make a Difference:
- Align with facility staff and global innovation on product development, prioritization, and delivery of project goals and resources from inception to launch through stage gate process.
- Manage multiple material development projects through to commercialization in accordance with the innovation calendar
- Host regular touchpoints with innovation 'Go-To Consumer' team to ensure capabilities (and limitations) are effectively communicated to design & merchandising.
- Use your deep technical and product knowledge to anticipate challenges and proactively seek solutions / workarounds.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external suppliers in both the material and chemical space.
- Lead materials development in coordination with raw materials suppliers, facility staff, and 'Go-To Consumer' team to ensure agile response to product / project requests are achieved.
- Communicate project status and progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain materials development database and regularly provide status updates
- Team with Sr Operations Manager to appropriately schedule incoming proof of concepts based on prioritization from 'Go-To Consumer' team.
- Own end-to-end 'on time' delivery of commercial material (pilot-ready)
- Create SOP's / Job Standards for materials development
- Establish quality control measures with facility and ensure product meets material product specifications Brand requirements for end-use.
- Align product development process with upstream & downstream supply chain to enable "pilot readiness"
- All other tasks and duties as assigned – or whatever it takes to get it done
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 6+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
- Years of Related Professional Experience: 6+ years of professional experience focused within manufacturing or product/process development and a minimum of 3 years' experience leading technical programs in creative and innovative work Manufacturing/Process Engineer desired. Strong knowledge of textiles formation and/or Textiles finishing is essential.
- Educational/Position Requirements: Four-year college degree with degree in Textiles from an accredited university. Textile Chemistry or Textiles Materials Science is preferred.
- Skilled in project management
- Computer/Software Applications: Full command of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word), Microsoft Project, Smartsheet, or equivalent project management software, Microsoft SharePoint. Proficiency in materials development software (e.g. TexBase) preferred.
- Languages: English.
- Establish credibility with a team of seasoned Innovation and Supply Chain veterans to foster collaboration, strategic alignment and integrated planning and execution across functions
- Operate effectively in a complex, matrixed organization.
- Demonstrate critical thinking capabilities in Executive Leadership facing situations.
- Exhibit a self-directed and proactive working style in which opportunities are identified and addressed prior to leadership direction
- Manage project work to achieve assigned milestones & deliverables.
- Build relationships with key partners that provide flexible and appropriate Project Management Support.
- Support continuous process improvement and innovation
- 'Maker' approach to problem solving. Highly resourceful and adaptive. Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Experience and proven track record of transitioning programs/technologies from concept into commercialization
- Effective communication and influencing techniques
- Demonstrated success developing and presenting complex ideas to executive audiences and effectively articulating the voice of the customer to senior management in a clear, concise and decisive manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in a world-wide environment with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Required Travel: 15%