The Manufacturing group is looking for an experienced fermentation engineer to lead the team that supports Fermentation Operations at Zymergen. As a member of the broader Manufacturing Engineering team, the candidate will bring technical expertise in fermentation process development and manufacturing, and have experience in managing teams.
As we look to further scale Fermentation Operations at Zymergen, the ideal candidate will provide technical, on-the-floor direction to the engineering team as well as have a passion for mentorship and career development of those team members.
Immediate responsibilities include:
- Lead and provide technical guidance to a team of fermentation engineers. Manage team priorities in collaboration with Fermentation Operations and broader Zymergen initiatives.
- Bring to bear deep technical knowledge in fermentation and data-driven approaches to prioritization and decision making
- Drive strategy initiatives to deliver scalable growth - i.e. improving operational efficiency, reducing unit cost, roll-out of manufacturing systems infrastructure to enable automated data capture
- Be able to drive impact through focused efforts that enable achievement of Zymergen's business goals
- Train team members on thoughtful approaches to process development, scale up / scale down, and manufacturing principles
- Ability to teach and apply Design of Experiments (DOE) and Lean Six Sigma methodologies is required
- Support Manufacturing Operations by guiding continuous improvement / evolutionary operations projects
- Demonstrated ability to capitalize on any opportunity to gain efficiency
We favor candidates with the following:
- BS & MS in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or a related field plus minimum 5 to 10 years of hands-on industry experience
- Hands on experience running bench-scale fermentation in industry is required
- Demonstrated high level of independence. We need someone who can be given high level goals and can then coordinate their team's priorities and take initiative to execute and deliver impact.
- Industrial fermentation experience with a focus on process development, scale up / scale down, and preferably with experience supporting multiple fermentation processes.
- Strong data analysis competency, including the use of statistics (JMP or similar software) and control charts to monitor and analyze results
- A proven history of managing and growing a team of technical experts (both technical guidance and a focus on career development).
- An ability to effectively communicate to people inside and outside their area of expertise. This role requires interfacing across multiple teams at Zymergen to communicate and drive consensus on priorities.
- For example, familiarity with analytical chemistry/assay methods, automation systems, and LIMS is desirable