Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, digital wallet providers, merchant, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Mastercard’s products and solutions enable consumers to conduct transactions, whether in the physical or digital worlds, in a safe, secure and convenient manner.
Push Payments is MasterCard’s business unit focused on entity-to-individual and individual-to-individual payments, both domestic and cross-border. The Push Payments business includes Mastercard Send, MoneySend, HomeSend and Masterpass QR.
As Senior Managing Counsel for the Push Payments Team, this role is based in New York and reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Digital Payments and Labs.
Mastercard is leading the digital transformation in payments and shifting share away from cash to alternative methods of payment, whether in-store, at home or on-the-go. The Digital Payments team creates great experiences for consumers across all channels and devices, allowing our customer to enable commerce with consumers in ways that were not possible in the pre digital world.
As a legal team, the Digital Payments and Labs team provides best-in-class legal counsel in connection with our solutions as they are developed, tested and brought to market with both existing and new customers, we are business relationship managers – actively participating in creating the strategic direction of the digital transformation in payments through cross functional business and LFI teams. We demonstrate personal accountability to help lead the business forward through hand-on engagement, partnership and strategic value creation.
The ideal candidate is a technology and payments-minded attorney with extensive product development experience who can manage day-to-day legal support for dynamic technologists. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgement, thrive in a fast-paced environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must have extensive experience providing both tactical and strategic legal support to executive level business professionals.
• Lead a team of attorneys who are responsible for global product development and strategy for the Push Payments business.
• Partner with technology, sales, franchise, marketing, communications and others to develop and launch innovative products and solutions that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ and cardholders’ rapidly changing needs
• Engage executive level management and assist clients in managing and mitigating legal and commercial risks
• Manage tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to drive convergence of physical and digital payments and advance Mastercard’s corporate objectives
• Collaborate with in-house and external specialists (including AML & OFAC compliance, data protection, intellectual property and anti-trust counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate risk
• Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, customer and vendor agreements) to drive issuer, merchant acceptance and consumer adoption of digital payments solutions through collaboration with digital technology companies, global telecommunications companies, innovative payments startups, merchants, government and financial institutions
• Lead the monitoring and evaluation of applicable laws and government regulations affecting the operation and product development Mastercard’s digital payments business
• Inform policy and regulatory positions related to Mastercards digital payments product and services with relevant internal and external stakeholders
• Assist with the creation of training materials and development activities to advance the business objectives in a compliant manner in accordance with company policies
All About You
• Law degree from a top-tier university in the US or a European country; licensed to practice in a local jurisdiction with extensive experience in drafting and negotiating agreements
• Significant relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable international law firm and/or as in-house lawyer for a multinational company, preferably in the financial services, banking or technology sector. Experience in providing legal support to US organizations is preferred
• Fluent in English (both oral and in writing); additional languages are considered an asset
• Must demonstrate strong leadership ability and preferably have experience in managing other attorneys
• Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss with and advise executive level management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization
• Should have a positive “can-do” attitude, be stress-resistant and ready to go the extra mile
• Should be team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions
• Must be able to work independently
• Must be thorough, meticulous and detail-oriented, but nevertheless able to prioritize and focus on the most important matters rather than just the urgent ones
• Should exercise good commercial judgement, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving
• Must be comfortable withtechnology and have a strong interest infinancialtechnology and informationsecurityissues