Senior Managing Counsel, Core Products
MasterCard is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, digital wallet providers, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions enable consumers to conduct transactions, whether in the physical or digital worlds, in a safe, secure and convenient manner.
This Senior Managing Counsel role is based in Purchase NY and reports to the SVP, Assistant General Counsel for Core Products and Marketing & Communications.
The role is responsible for providing legal advice to Global Core Product Executives providing comprehensive, end-to-end legal support by facilitating thoughtful risk-taking to enable MasterCard to deliver on strategy, managing the legal support for the following Core Product global verticals: Commercial Products and Acceptance Solutions. In addition, this role will support the Global Healthcare business vertical.
These business teams develop and manage innovative, technology-based solutions to help differentiate Mastercard from the competition, grow payments, enable every device to be an acceptance device to grow merchant acceptance, enhance value, and help to capture new payment flows, with unique, ground-breaking commercial products for large, midsize and small businesses as well as for merchants, acquirers, payment facilitators and healthcare companies.
As a legal team we provide high quality legal counsel, focused on excellence in execution and strong partnership with the business, in connection with the technology solutions as they are developed, piloted and brought to market with both existing and new customers around the world. We demonstrate personal accountability to help lead the business forward, often navigating matters of first impression and complexities in payment flows and ecosystem participants, through hands-on engagement and collaboration with compliance, data privacy, intellectual property, regulatory and other subject matters experts.
Role profile is of an attorney familiar with technology-based product development considerations as well as the payments ecosystem, with extensive commercial transactional experience, managing day-to-day legal support across our enterprise wide Core Product activities. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgment, thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must have experience and comfort providing both tactical and strategic legal support communicating with executive level business professionals.
• Oversees all legal and regulatory matters for the above businesses, including partnering with the business and legal specialists to implement applicable laws and regulations that facilitate commercial operations and activities
• Directly serves as the primary legal advisor and LFI relationship manager for the business verticals and their executive leadership, and considers the overall benefit to the above business verticals as the highest priority when structuring complex commercial deals and new products and solutions
• Negotiates, drafts, and approves key business and legal agreements that are complex, high-risk, and strategic in nature
• Leads communications and training to clients on legal issues, including explaining implications on business operations and legal risks
• May engage and manage relationship with outside counsels on specific business-related research and analysis
• Coaches and mentors others while serving as a technical expert, often leading cross-functional strategic initiatives and sharing legal knowledge for a business and/or market
All About You
• Law degree from a top-tier university in the U.S. Licensed to practice in a local jurisdiction with extensive experience in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements governed by US law.
• Significant relevant post-qualification experience in general common law-based commercial legal matters in a reputable international law firm and/or as in-house lawyer for a multinational company, preferably in the financial services, banking or technology sector.
• Experience in providing legal support to global business organizations preferred.
• Must demonstrate strong leadership ability.
• Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss with and advise executive level management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations.
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization.
• Should have a positive “can do” attitude, be stress -resistant and ready to go the extra mile.
• Should be a team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions.
• Must be able to work independently.
• Must be thorough, meticulous and detail-oriented, but nevertheless able to prioritize and focus on the most important matters rather than just urgent ones.
• Should exercise good commercial judgment, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving.
• Must be comfortable withtechnology and have a strong interest infinancialtechnology andsecurityissues.\