The Senior Manager, Wealth ManagementTaxation plays a key role in supporting advisors and specialists across Scotia Wealth Management by providing tax expertise and enhancing the delivery of the Total Wealth offering.
As a senior team member, the incumbent will be the primary backup for the Director who leads the team and the Senior Manager will be closely involved with key activities led by the Director.
This also includes providing mentorship and guidance to less experienced team members and other colleagues who are developing their tax knowledge. While many activities will be shared across the group, the incumbent will have specific accountabilities where he/she takes a leading position.
Enhance the delivery of the Total Wealth offering through the integration of tax expertise by:
- Consulting with advisors and, where applicable, their high net worth clients, in order to provide education and insights related to clients’ specific taxation issues that may guide further discussions with their tax advisors;
- Participating in business development activities and prospective client meetings
- Reviewing plans and related recommendations and identifying opportunities to strengthen them through the inclusion of tax-related content or ideas;
- Identifying and communicating investment, insurance, trust and any other gaps that our advisors and specialists can address with clients;
- Capturing and socializing any success stories connected to client situations; and
- Continuously identifying opportunities to enhance theWealth ManagementTaxation team’s service offering.
Take a leading role related to the Wealth ManagementTaxation team’s editorial work by:
- Working closely with colleagues to drive the planning around the development of new content and training, and the related communication strategy;
- Writing and editinginternal memos and bulletins regarding legislative tax changes, federal budget announcements, tax planning best practices, and ad hoc requests from advisors and others;
- Writing and editing articles to be published regularly on tax topics that are relevant, including contributions to other standard publications; and
- Facilitating dialogue around the development of thought leadership we can publish externally to drive awareness of Scotia Wealth Management’s total wealth capabilities; and
- Reviewing content produced by advisors andotherparts of the organization to ensure it is accurate and compliant.
Contribute to the effective delivery of tax educational sessions for colleagues by:
- Leading the facilitation of professional development activities for colleagues with more advanced tax knowledge;
- Delivering presentations to general audiences comprised of advisors, partners, and specialists on various tax topics; and
- Leveraging industry contacts and soliciting input from colleagues to identify external speakers to participate in sessions and collaborate on the development of content.
Act as taxation subject matter expert to Scotia Wealth Management staff by:
- Responding to queries made by advisors and specialists that are both general in nature or related to specific client questions/issues;
- Staying abreast of industry developments through networking and monitoring of trade publications;
- Maintaining strong technical knowledge through ongoing learning;
- Contributing to the delivery of tax-based education to Scotia Wealth Management staff; and
- Acting as a key resource and subject matter expert tointernal partners and colleagues as industry changes are introduced and insights arerequiredto support management decisions.
Lead efforts to expand taxation support to Scotiabank business lines internally by:
- Developing and fostering connections with key people in various business lines, such as Commercial Banking, Small Business Banking, Automotive Finance, Global Banking & Markets, and Asset Management;
- Understanding the key areas of focus and client engagement parameters within those businesses, as well as relevant issues where Wealth ManagementTaxation can play a supporting role;
- Developing and managing an operating model to ensure support is available in a way that addresses any potential capacity constraints and aligns to the business lines’ support frameworks;
- Ensuring that content developed for Scotia Wealth Management is considered for broader distribution and that any required changes are implemented in advance; and
- Collaborating with colleagues to ensure that, wherever possible, the broader ScotiaWealth Managementoffering is promoted and positioned effectively as part of any educational efforts.
Collaborate with the Director to drive the promotion and integration of the Wealth ManagementTaxation offering by assisting with:
- Delivering keynote presentations to staff, clients, Centres of Influence, and/or prospective clients;
- Participating in public relations activities, particularly interview requests requiring tax expertise;
- Leading any Wealth ManagementTaxation involvement in key business initiatives and/or the team’s own priority initiatives.
- Helping to manage relationships with third party organizations, including any referral programs or opportunities; and
- Representing the team in anyinternal meetings or industry functions.
Provide strong team leadership to motivate and develop individual and team performance by:
- Fostering and developing a strong, positive team environment, driving employee empowerment, innovation and a high degree of engagement;
- Exhibiting an ability to listen, negotiate and communicate goals;
- Sharing knowledge, experience and responsibility with employees in a drive for the highest standards of professionalism and service excellence;
- Ensuring the performance management process is on track and development planning is a priority for all employees on the team;
- Regularly scheduling one-on-one coaching with direct reports;
- Identifying and supporting training and developmental needs of team members; and
- Managingstaffing requirements and departmental workloads.
- University degree;
- Professional designation (CA/CPA, LLB);
- 10 years of experience in a professional organization supporting Wealth ManagementTaxation.
- CICA In-Depth tax course;
- Other professional designations (e.g. TEP, CLU);
- Financial Planning accreditation (preferably Certified Financial Planning, or Personal Financial Planning);
- Life insurance license;
- Canadian Securities Course;
- Solid understanding of the products/services he/she is helping advisors to support;
- Strong understanding of Wealth Management;
- Solid knowledge of marketplace and competitive practices.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills;
- Ability to deal with complex issues, tight deadlines, and manage several competing priorities at a time;
- Self-starter, possessing a high degree of flexibility, and have strong judgment and problem-solving skills;
- The incumbent must be well suited to working independently and within a team environment
- High degree of specialized knowledge and experience. The incumbent must be highly conversant on a variety of topics, including:
- Federal and Provincial income tax rules pertaining to individuals,
- Taxation of Canadian Controlled Private Corporations (CCPCs) and related planning issues, such as business succession, corporate reorganizations, use of RCAs/IPPs, and various corporate transactions;
- Issues related to estates & trusts and applicable laws including key issues related to Family Law;
- Strategies related to philanthropy, leveraging, and addressing US tax issues;
- Uses and issues related to legal documents (wills, trusts, shareholder agreements, insurance policies, etc.); and
- Business operations, key issues affecting the valuation of businesses, and the ability to read and interpret financial statements and tax returns.
Requisition ID: 22332