At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
The Senior Manager, Tax Planning serves as an important team member responsible for domestic operating and holding company state and local income and indirect tax planning projects including research, analysis, and presentation of conclusions, transaction execution and documentation including tax provision support and tax compliance review. The position will build strong relationships with finance function and business line tax counterparts in the US SBU and corporate office. This position reports into the Managing Director, US TaxReporting & Planning.
- Work collaboratively with finance and business development teams to provide high quality tax support for M&A and business driven transactions including application of unique industry specific rules.
- Coordinate with members of the taxreporting team to ensure tax implications of business and tax driven transactions are timely and completely reported in provision and tax filings. Strong corporate and partnership knowledge is key to performing successfully in this dynamic position.
- Identify and capture ETR and cash tax savings in line with annual targets.
- Perform on -going special projects such as accounting method changes, basis and gain / loss analyses, legal entity rationalization, and state tax planning.
- Coordinate and critically assess advice received from outside advisors
- Monitor legislative changes to state and local income and indirect taxlaws, identifying opportunities and adverse consequences.
- Provide guidance to the Tax Accounting and Tax Compliance teams, including subject matter expertise on technical tax issues outside of core transaction support work.
- Assist in responding to federal and state audits, and other regulated utility industry tax matters as may be required.
- Travel within the US may be required.
- CPA or JD; MST / LLM preferred.
- 8 to 12years or more of experience; Big 4 accounting firm / large law firm, and large corporation tax department experiencepreferred.
- Excellent judgment and verbal communication skills; Ability to synthesize and tailor information to convey, timely, the most relevant data and decision points with various audiences (e.g. supervisors, tax peers and financing and business teams).
- Extensive experience researching, analyzing and applying an array of tax free, taxable, partnership and consolidated return technical provisions.
- Experience thriving in a fast paced, highly demanding work environment with multiple evolving priorities.
- Independent problem solving, strategic & creative thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write technical memos and prepare presentations that are clear and persuasive, for both tax professionals and business executives.
- Basic working knowledge of ASC740 and tax compliance reporting requirements as applied to business and tax driven transactions.