The Senior Manager will identify and validate world-wide growth opportunities and drive strategy development for selected opportunities for BD. (S)he will a) lead the strategic cross-functional evaluation of promising opportunities from a marketing, clinical, and technical perspective and identify unmet needs, b) collaborate with business, technical and clinical teams on solution concept development, c) lead strategy development for product platforms, and d) support business development activities (contract negotiations, acquisition analysis, partnership analysis, etc.). The role is part of the Corporate Strategic Innovation group, reports into the Director, Innovation, and would be located at BD’s Technology and Innovation Center in Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Accountability for world-wide strategic innovation initiatives including
- Deeply understanding specific markets and therapeutic areas from technical, clinical, market and business development perspectives, in order to identify significant spaces for future growth and developing the strategies and tactics that will enable BD to achieve that growth.
- Driving the cross-functional evaluation of growth opportunities to identify/validate the underlying clinical needs, evaluate market size and optimal segmentation, assess customer willingness-to-pay and adoption, identify the likely regulatory pathway, assess filed/published/granted IP and evaluate possible partnership/acquisition scenarios.
- Identifying resources, developing external relationships with Key Opinion Leaders and investors and attending conferences / tradeshows (eco-system) to surface and prioritize new, global opportunities
- Closely partnering with scientists and engineers at the BD Technology and Innovation Center to evaluate the business potential of emerging technologies and science and to develop solution concepts
- Supporting M&A due diligence through strategic marketing and business development activities
- Driving Innovation process improvements across the corporation
- Demonstrating and promoting leadership courage by doing what is right. Instill confidence in associates and customers.
- Dealing with ambiguity: Demonstrating agility and an action orientation when facing change and uncertainty. Effectively manage change and instill confidence.
- Influence others: Intuitively and quickly assess people and situations and act accordingly. Demonstrate strong persuasion and timing skills.
- Conduct and encourage frequent formal and informal communication within the group to ensure full engagement and efficient operation.
- Effective in-person and virtual communication across global corporate locations and leadership levels within the organization
- M.B.A. with (if applicable) focus on Marketing, Healthcare Management or Finance
- Technical Undergraduatedegree with M.S., Ph.D. in a technical discipline, or M.D. strongly preferred
- 3+ years, post MBA in one or more of the below:
- Strategic marketing / cross-functional product development in the healthcare industry
- Experience in innovation, ideation or creative product development processes
- Management consulting / financial services with exposure to the healthcare industry
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex cross-functional or cross-country initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to develop deep, rigorous, analytical analysis that drives business function improvement, growth opportunity identification, strategy development and technology decision making
- Experience in developing customer insights (eg qualitative/quantitative market research, ethnography)
- Licensing and Acquisition experience in the healthcare space is highly preferred (due diligence and contracting experience)
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify, prioritize and successfully advocate for opportunities to drive growth or improve operating performance
- Demonstrated ability to both lead and be part of high-performing teams
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and persuasion skills
- Ability to use sound, independent reasoning and judgment to establish work priorities and be flexible to respond to constantly changing priorities and shifting deadlines in a fast paced working environment
- Experience with financial models, financial analysis and market analysis preferred
Primary Work Location
Job ID R-310621