The Senior Manager of U.S. State Government Affairs will be the principal face of SAP among state and local government officials in the assigned East region states. The specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist both the VP, Head of U.S. Government Affairs and the Head of U.S. State Government Affairs in the direction and organization of all efforts within designated region in the U.S. Government Affairs department.
- Identify and influence government action that may impact SAP’s business.
- Work closely with the public sector sales teams at the local and state level to drive adoption and usage of SAP technology solutions.
- Develop and maintain external relationships with elected officials in your region including state legislatures, governors, mayors and regulators.
- Promote SAP as a local and global leader in providing software, services and solutions to help improve people’s lives and organizations run better.
- Develop a working knowledge of states’ technology legislation, regulations, and practices; advocate for public policy positions including, but not limited to issues of digital government, technology, privacy, cybersecurity, sustainability, cloud, IoT, tax, procurement, supply chain and market access.
- Monitor state legislation in assigned region and react accordingly; testify, educate, and work to advance pro-innovation legislation benefitting SAP.
- Manage government affairs consultants / lobbyists in select geographies.
- Drive and host visits to SAP facilities in the East region northern U.S. states.
- Prepare materials for senior executive team including position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government actions.
- Participate in political events as a representative of SAP America PAC.
- Represent SAP before our business and trade organizations.
- Represent SAP at external events, meetings and conferences as needed.
- Collect and share policy and intelligence on government activities, recommend and drive advocacy strategies and tactics which will drive value.
- Ensure compliance of lobbying and political activities with state and local laws / regulations and SAP’s Code of Business Conduct.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Bachelor's degree required; Prior state government experience, public policy and/or lobbying and advocacy background required.
- 7+ years related work experience in or with Pennsylvania or Illinois State government or another State, and/or government affairs or external relations.
- B.A. degree in political science, public policy, or related field.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Credibility/ability and experience in influence policy debates.
- Ability to listen and discern what is being said verbally and through other communication which conveys deeper messages or issues.
- High level of self-motivation and customer focus with an acute understanding of business drivers and principles.
- Ability to influence policy decisions at all levels of government on behalf of SAP’s businesses.
- Experience in public policy decision-making, relationship building, and communications.
- This is a dynamic team, and the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to all activities on the team as needed.
- A strict adherence and appreciation of ethics and compliance laws, regulations, and internal requirements.
- Any state or local bans on lobbying due to current or former government work experience need to be fully disclosed.