SENIOR MANAGER SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Cox Automotive, is seeking an experienced Leader for our Senior Software Engineering Manager role to join our Engineering Management team in ATLANTA, GA or Phoenix, AZ.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, this is a temporary work from home role but will ultimately work in the Atlanta,GA or Arizona office.
Senior Engineering Managers are Servant Leaders at Cox Automotive. The Senior Engineering Manager is responsible for providing leadership and guidance for software engineering teams. Additionally, the Senior Engineering Manager coaches, motivates, supports through engineering best practices and leads team members to their optimum performance levels and career development. Additionally, they will provide organizational leadership, being responsible for all of the HR-related duties: hiring, performance reviews, issue/conflict resolution, career development, performance planning, etc.
The Senior Manager is the individual who is responsible and accountable for the successful design, execution, and timely delivery of products and product features that are robust, flexible, scalable, secure, and high-quality. In addition, the Senior Manager has responsibility for multiple products and ensuring consistency of vision and execution across those products. These responsibilities include meeting all functional requirements from the Product Owners, as well as supporting the overall technology strategy of the Product Engineering team. The Senior Manager is also responsible for guiding and mentoring their Software Development Teams in all aspects of the development process: agile ceremonies, technology and coding standards, appropriate use of tools and processes, and product quality initiatives.
The Senior Manager must maintain expert knowledge of internal and external systems and play a hands-on role with the team. Senior Managers are also responsible for researching, demonstrating and providing guidance on emerging technologies and industry trends. Along with strong technical skills, the Senior Manager must have a tenacious desire to learn and understand business principles, concepts, and strategy.
- All HR-related duties, including (but not limited to) hiring, performance reviews, recognition & rewards, issue/conflict resolution, career development, performance planning.
- Ownership and accountability to form, maintain, and share the vision of the products, including the establishment of consistent patterns and practices across those products.
- Work with Product Managers, Architecture and other Engineering Leaders to develop and maintain product roadmaps defining overall product strategy, release plans showing how engineering will implement against that strategy and status boards showing progress against plans
- Clearly and succinctly communicate the priorities and plans to the team
- Represent your team in strategy and planning meetings.
- Work with your team to plan, design, implement and operationalize new innovations and improvements to existing programs
- Work with your team to continually improve their processes and develop best practices for agile development that delivers value to our stakeholders.
- Respond quickly and effectively to production issues, taking responsibility for seeing those issues through resolution.
- Stay current with changes in the technical area of expertise
- Share knowledge by effectively documenting plans, decisions, and task ownership.
- Other responsibilities as required to support the company’s growth
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- 10 years of software engineering experience in Web or SaaS environments
- Minimum 8 years performing professionally in the following areas:
- Servant Leadership
- Delivery to Product road map
- Management of Software Engineering Teams
- Performance Management of Software Engineers
- Career development
- Conflict Resolution
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented design concepts and design patterns
What We Look For:
- Strong experience developing large-scale software systems
- Strong experience with distributed or microservices architectures
- Ability to speak on behalf of engineering teams in planning activities
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability, strong team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced atmosphere
- Ability to recruit and hire exceptional engineering talent and facilitate onboarding of new team members
- Strong technical proficiency with object-oriented design and languages such as .NET, Java, Scala, C#, or Ruby
- Demonstrated proficiency designing and optimizing relational databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, or MS SQL
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, project commitments and organize effectively
- Self-motivated, directed and passionate about what you do
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High integrity and desire to do the right thing