We’re looking for a Senior Manager, Software Engineering to help us shape the future of education. With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company with the industry's most comprehensive student-success solutions. Our mission is to partner with the global education community to enable student and institutional success by leveraging innovative technologies and services.
This role focuses on our Blackboard Transact™ platform which helps improve student experience and campus safety, while streamlining business operations and increasing revenue. The Blackboard Transact platform includes capabilities within two integrated modules:
- Commerce Management: facilitates campus ID card issuance, cashless payment processing, account management and reporting on-campus, off-campus, and online.
- Security Management: monitors all campus activity using integrated door access control, video surveillance and mass notification capabilities.
As a member of our Product Development organization, you’ll work in an agile environment delivering industry-leading SaaS products and web service platforms. You’ll be deeply involved in translating wireframes and sketches into working prototypes to refine user interface behaviors. As Senior Manager, Software Engineering, you will be responsible for leading Agile software teams, ensuring delivered product quality, removing obstacles to increase efficiency in product development, and guiding professional growth for team members. You’ll deliver high-quality visual, functional, and operational experience to our customers and users while recruiting and motivating your team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Directly managing and mentoring software development/test engineers
- Working alongside your team, providing technical direction
- Advocating for agile and test-driven development methodologies while delivering on all committed projects
- Working with Product Management, Development, Design, and Operations to negotiate and offer alternatives on risky/complex/expensive requirements and negotiate priorities and timelines
- Providing timely and transparent communication that highlights both successes and challenges
- Collaborating with other members of the Product Development staff to develop a true sense of shared responsibility and energy for the entire product, from conception through deployment
- Recruiting, mentoring, organizing, motivating, and coaching a team of software engineering professionals; assigning projects and arranging training to advance the careers of everyone on the team; defining and monitoring goals; and driving the organization’s efforts to improve the teams reporting to you
- Has a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience- a master’s degree is a plus
- Has 10+ years of industry experience
- Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in technical management, leading stakeholders and team members through large complex system implementations and integrations
- Is comfortable leading and working with teams of developers and testers, helping them establish a culture of quality, productivity, and innovation
- Can learn and contribute towards complex architectures to facilitate team planning, development, and investigation
- Is comfortable with complex software development projects
- Is an innovative thinker able to communicate multifaceted technical concepts
- Is an expert in managing and directing the full SDLC including all aspects of sprint execution, applying full spectrum test methodologies/techniques, CI/CD automation, and visibility of all the preceding through focused metrics definition/collection
- Thrives in a fast-paced, technical challenging environment with evolving requirements and can manage through ambiguity and bring definition to issues as a result
- Has a proven track record of achieving high-quality software product releases and meeting commitments
- Is interested in and passionate about driving both functional and experiential quality
- Has experience influencing the practices of teams and individuals including Design, Engineering, Operations, and Support
- Has excellent leadership, communication, collaboration, planning, and analytical/problem-solving skills
- Has experience with Java or Microsoft frameworks
- Has proven experience in web technologies including microservice patterns/architecture, high availability, scalability, and cloud native solutions developed on Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Experience building PaaS solutions is preferred
- Industry experience developing applications for AWS, Azure, Google, or other cloud platforms for large-scale, multi-tenant SaaS systems is preferred
The Team & Office:
Blackboard has an office in the ever-evolving, industrial Deer Valley area in north Phoenix, AZ.
- Endless nearby places to eat lunch or dinner with the team from In-N-Out Burger, P.F. Chang’s, and Chili’s, to OM Indian Bistro, Jo Jo’s Pizza, and Other Q Sports Bar and Grill
- Accessible via Valley Metro Bus and building offers free parking for employees
- A short distance from Deem Hills Recreation Area