What's cool about this job
REI is in the process of rebuilding the way we engage with our members and new audiences through our digital channels. Our social media program is quickly evolving into a more personal, helpful, authentic engagement model that will help connect people to REI and, most importantly, to a life well lived outdoors.
We’re are looking for a leader who understands how to bring creative, compelling work to life in social media, both in the context of broader REI campaigns and through efforts that start by listening to our community. This leader will help us bring our biggest brand moments like #OptOutside to life, inspire the outdoor community to act on its values through social media, drive relevancy and preference for new and emerging REI offerings, and shape our voice on social media. They will lead a team of dedicated, enthusiastic professionals who will help us connect with our community in a meaningful way every day.
This person will have a proven track record for growing company relevancy through social media, capitalizing on the latest trends and opportunities on all relevant platforms, leveraging audience targeting effectively and developing great leaders. They will also demonstrate how they can develop an inspiring vision for their program and get their team aligned and motivated to deliver against it.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI success.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes timely and effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve departmental, co-op and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Proactively defines and delivers long term social media strategy with measurable quarterly and annual goals, aligned to REI business plans and overall growth objectives.
- Defines and develops digitalexperiences, tools, and processes to enable community engagement between customers, members, influencers and REI.
- Drives alignment and pushes for social first thinking within the greater integrated marketing efforts to bring cohesive REI brand to market.
- Oversees agency and application selection, negotiation, resourcing and management.
- Establishes and grows internal relationships at all levels of the organization to ensure long-term development and growth for her program and her team members.
- Collaborates with cross-divisional departments to apply social insights to the broader business.
- Defines social media standards and practices in partnership with creative (look, feel, sound) and BSI (community management).
- Communicates program strategies and results consistently to create transparency and visibility into the progression of the program.
- Balances brand messaging and the needs of the community.
- Drives point of view on creative storytelling that clearly positions REI’s brand across multiple channels, in partnership with the creative teams at REI.
- Provides proactive thought leadership on the total breadth of the social medialandscape and spots opportunities for REI to capitalize on emerging trends.
- Challenges teams to have their finger on the pulse of what’s happening in broader society, with a point of view on how REI can shape and participate in those conversations.
- Uses analytics to calibrate the program daily and demonstrate program progression to REI leaders.
- 10 + years of experience with marketing, communications and social and community program management to drive awareness, traffic, content, consumer engagement, and participation.
- 5+ years of management experience, including PR and social strategy development and oversight, knowledge of platform capabilities, building and leading teams, budget mgmt.
- 5+ years of paid media experience (either direct program management, within social media program, or agency management).
- 5+ years of experience in social mediapublishing and analytics tools (e.g. Lithium, Spreadfast, pixel tagging, etc.).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experiencepreferred.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.