The Senior Manager, Core Accounts Sales (100 – 2,999 employees) is responsible for leading and directing new business sales to meet and exceed membership, revenue and operating income goals. The Director is responsible for shaping and executing all strategic and operational decisions affecting the region. The Core Accounts’ team is led by the Vice President & General Manager who has P&L responsibility and oversees new business sales, account management, and service teams. This team collaborates with all areas of the company including: health care quality assurance, underwriting, product implementation, network management, marketing, and e-business (to name a few) – all with the goal in mind of delivering healthcare that is worthy of our family and friends.
This role is a Senior Manager level position within Blue Shield of California, and reports to the Area Vice President.
- Create and develop a Regional Core Accounts (100 – 2,999 employees) new business strategy that ensures BSC is positioned as a viable option to meet the needs of customers. Strategy will include external territory, broker and target lists as well as individual objectives and performance metrics.
- Manages and reports accurate business forecasts, and provides regular updates on visits, client interactions, and recommended next steps:
- Make presentations to all constituents in the market, including consultants, benefit committees, executive decision makers, benefit specialist, and industry associations. This includes annual consultant road shows and client forums to increase understanding of Blue Shield’s current innovations,
- Provide input to the Blue Shield product development team to develop new products and deliver them to the market constituents,
- Contribute to market, regional and corporate profitability objectives by generating revenues with targeted pricing and profit margins.
- Develop and foster viable relationships with consultants and brokers.
- Identify needs for the Core Accounts market and ensure BSC products and systems are in place to meet those needs.
- Build a strong sales environment by evaluating, coaching, and motivating the sales team.
- Promote cooperation and teamwork while working to achieve collective outcomes:
- Collaborate with other BSC leaders and cross-function business units to improve our market position and share.
- Shared Accountability for helping to make Blue Shield a Great Place to Work.
- Performance goals include the following:
- Meet and exceed new business membership, revenue and profit margin targets.
- Effectively manage and expand broker/consultant network.
- Demonstrate service excellence.
- The successful Senior Manager, Core Accounts Sales will have broad health care industry knowledge. A demonstrated track record of accomplishments in health plan group sales in the insurance industry is preferred.
- The Senior Manager, Core Accounts Sales must be an assertive and proactive change agent and an inspirational leader of people.
- The Senior Manager, Core Accounts Sales must be a mission driven executive who has the discipline and rigor of a for profit operator, preferably with a commercial carrier and/or benefits consulting firm with progressive levels of management responsibility. This individual will need a sound understanding of the various constituencies involved in the healthcare equation, and they must be able to drive the discussion with the key leaders within each constituency.
- Large group sales and underwriting experience in the managed care industry.
- Thorough knowledge of computers and the software that supports the sales function; is comfortable with programs necessary to track and measure sales performance.
- Has worked with multiple carriers and understands key elements of the sales process.
- Ability to manage highly complex and difficult negotiations with external customers and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to anticipate future needs and opportunities and incorporating them in current planning.
- Ability to anticipate barriers to implementation of strategic plans.
- Develops systems to organize the department's workflow that assure quality, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Able to demonstrate exceptional communication and leadership skills, including presentation and motivational leadership skills.
- Proven customer focus and delivers on commitments to client groups.
- Able to demonstrate a strong performance orientation and skillful strategic thinking.
- Articulates vision, establishes clear expectations, and continuously measures performance.
- Has a highly organized, self-directed approach to work.
- Strategic, collaborative, action oriented and has a strong sales orientation.
- Able to demonstrate seasoned management and execution skills.
- Has advanced knowledge and skills including technical or selling skills expertise, business acumen, financial analysis skills, risk management, delegation skills, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Typically, requires a college degree or equivalent experience and minimum 10-year prior relevant experience, including 4 years of management experience.
- Requires an active life and health insurance license.