PerkinElmer is seeking a Senior Manager of Purchasing who will contribute to the company's success by developing and implementing core foundational processes that encompass the end-to-end supply chain. Areas of responsibility may include commodities that influence and shape sourcing strategies, and/or system and process solutions to maximize procurement’s value. This role partners with business partners, suppliers, and the production teams to implement and manage sourcing strategies, business processes, lean principles, and total cost savings initiatives, which includes activities such as contract and price negotiations, supplier relationship management, continuous improvement projects, and ultimately, ensuring that the products and/or services are delivered at the right time, right quality, right quantity, and right cost. Additionally, the purchasing manager will provide coaching to other partners within the organization that performs planning and buying activities.
Include (but are not limited to)
- Representing planning/procurement in the business unit (Sales Inventory Operating Plan) SIOP meetings to understand and share potential material requirement impacts
- Analyzing supply chain flow, identifying bottlenecks, problem areas, and critical control points and drives/influences innovative solutions.
- Leading new system and process initiatives cross-functionally to increase the value delivered by procurement (e.g., lean, value engineering, etc.).
- Identifying and executing against PPV/VE total cost savings across the supply chain, in conjunction with Sourcing.
- Leading internal business partners and suppliers to create an efficient integrated supply chain.
- Researching, evaluating, developing, and implementing supplier management tools and techniques.
- Acting as a role model for supplier management, driving a continuous improvement mind-set for improved performance in quality, service, innovation, and cost.
- Leveraging the Global Commodity team to create vision and strategy for critical commodities for the Shelton Site (including total spend analysis), and formally presents recommendations on an annual basis for Senior Management review and approval for continuous improvement to the end to end supply chain.
- Completing supplier and commodity capacity reviews
- In conjunction with the Global Commodity Procurement Team, developing models to evaluate how commodities impact total cost in the extended supply chain.
- In conjunction with the Global Commodity Procurement Team, preparing, communicating and educating internal business partners on changes in commodity trends, policies, and practices.
- Working with sourcing to drive the development of new products, programs, and services as business needs dictate.
- In conjunction with Sourcing, developing sourcing strategies to ensure business continuity and contingency planning.
- Negotiating Lean Replenishment System (LRS) and other applicable Shelton Site Agreements
- Assessing and understanding forecast methodology used in PKI to develop appropriate purchasing strategies to minimize potential outages and/or obsolescence.
- Working with internal business partners and suppliers to develop specifications, drawings, and statements of work
- Developing and executing negotiation strategy; responsible for driving final negotiations and implementation while ensuring appropriate levels of management engagement and approval.
- Performing Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) analysis.
- Ensuring actionable supplier business reviews to drive continuous improvement.
- Proactively driving and managing strategic relationships with suppliers and business partners to support current and future requirements.
- Assessing and understanding the financial and strategic impact of new and existing business initiatives
- Identifying supply base issues, analyzing information to assess root cause, driving improvement opportunities and associated risk.
- Developing solutions and gaining consensus in resolving issues or mitigating supply base risks.
- Educating business partners and team members on the intricacies of total cost management and the importance of each component.
- Reviewing and approving Change Orders, ensuring appropriate changes are made within SAP
- Aligning and standardizing best practices across the Procurement/Planning team via weekly 1:1 and regular team meetings.
- Ensuring workload is appropriately delegated and balanced across the team
- Providing leadership and development to a team of professionals that sets high quality standards for performance and is committed to organizational goals, including assigning responsibilities; hiring, training, motivating and coaching employees; assessing and recommending appropriate staffing levels; managing employee performance; and providing helpful feedback and training opportunities.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required
- 10+ years with Purchasing, Planning, Supply Chain Management, and/or Inventory Management experience in a manufacturing environment
- 5+ years in Direct Buying, Contract Negotiations, Supplier Management, and/or Project Management experience
- 5+ years of supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of project management principles and practices
- 5+ years (8 years preferred) cross-functional team management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of products
- SAP experience a plus
- APICS or ISM certification desired.