The position reports directly to the Vice President, Public Sector Outreach. Responsible for promoting the University and its programs to prospective government entities and employees, current public sector accounts, and prospective students associated with those accounts. Establishes and maintains relationships with organizations across state, local, and federal agencies and their key influencers to include: executives, senior leaders, mid-level managers and relevant professional organizations within the public sector. Will work closely with academic stakeholders to create, launch, implement, manage, and maintain programs to grow registrations. Represents APUS at events and ceremonies.
- Locates and proposes potential new business by contacting potential partners, discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Manages assigned accounts working to increase APUS account penetration.
- Develops and closes new business.
- Maintains prospective account list, adding new prospects upon account conversion.
- Provides quarterly registration forecasts by account.
- Creates, modifies, and delivers pitch pieces to attract and educate prospective accounts and partners.
- Closes new business by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations, involving academic and other university staff involvement as needed.
- Obtains and analyzes metric and reporting data on partnership performance, develop and execute strategies to bring enhanced APUS offerings to partners to meet their employee development needs.
- Screens potential business opportunities by analyzing tuition assistance or reimbursement programs or job related educational incentives at assigned accounts, potential degree alignment; needs of the business and size of organization.
- Maintains confidentiality of all APUS information.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining professional networks; participating in professional organizations.
- With approval, organizes attendance at relevant conferences and events, managing contracts, marketing needs, capturing leads, and invoicing functions.
- Documents all business development opportunities and account management using customer relationship management (CRM) tool.
- Prepares briefings and present information to internal and external stakeholders regarding trends, issues and opportunities.
Contact (types and levels – internal and external)
- External contacts may include government executives, senior and mid-level managers at federal, state, and local government agencies and departments, as well as current and prospective students.
- Internal contacts may include fellow APUS employees up to and including the executive level and APUS students.
- Strong listening and networking skills.
- Must have exceptional presentation skills, and the ability to “think on their feet.”
- Must have excellent verbal, written, communication and interpersonal skills with a strong customer focus.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to motivate others.
- Must be able to negotiate and close.
- Ability to manage and grow existing accounts.
- Ability to establish priorities among multiple tasks.
- Ability to operate independently to accomplish the assigned mission.
- Ability to translate general mission guidance into specific actions.
- Ability to make logical decisions that support the intended objective, considering the best interests of APUS.
- Professionalism and high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Ability to manage expenses to assigned budget.
- Provide weekly situational reports, and monthly budget reports.
- Strong digital research skills, ability to quickly and accurately find, absorb and analyze market information and recognize patterns and trends.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations.
- Access information using a computer.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work is primarily performed remotely in a home office environment.
- Requires up to 25% local and distance travel. Travel via plane, car, and public transportation may be required to perform this job.
- Must have the flexibility to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Prior experience working in, or with government agencies at the federal, state, or local levels required.
- Prior new business development and/or account management experience in an academic setting preferred.
- Four to six years’ experience with demonstrated success in account management, business development, sales, outreach and/or lead generation; preferably in the education or training industry.
- Must be fluent in Microsoft Office applications and use standard electronic resources.
- Experience with Salesforce.com preferred.