SENIOR MANAGER, PUBLIC RELATIONS - BEAUTY
Bolingbrook, IL, USA
1000 Remington Blvd
Ulta Beauty is the largest specialty beauty retailer in the United States and the place for the true beauty enthusiast who gets butterflies as she shops for beauty and experiments throughout our store. We are the only one to provide our guests prestige, mass and salon products and services under one roof – All Things Beauty, All in One Place™. We put our guests at the center of all we do, committing to offer her unrivaled ways to be beautiful in an environment that provides the thrill of exploration and delight of discovery.
The Senior Manager, Beauty Public Relations works with the Director as a key thought leader in helping develop strategy and direction of the beauty PR function. Interacting closely with senior management as well as high profile external industry leaders, this position serves as Ulta Beauty’s beauty industry ambassador. Collaborating closely with other internal thought leaders, this position is tasked with building critical industry and media relationships and offering counsel to key executives. Working cross functionally in this role, the senior manager will lead efforts in building relationships brand partners, supporting their PR efforts with fresh, innovation PR tactics. Assist and represent the Director of Communications in all aspects of the management of beauty PR agency partners specifically serving as their primary day-to-day contact. Support and back up the Director in the key area of issue/crisis management as it relates to beauty/product related issues.
Strong team leader tasked with helping lead the team to carry out media and external communications tactics to generate strategic, priority media coverage for Ulta Beauty with the beauty and beauty trade media in support of Ulta Beauty and brand partner efforts.
Additional duties include reviewing assigning, critiquing, editing and approving communication materials. Developing long-term relationships with priority media contacts to increase Ulta Beauty visibility and leverage for increased opportunity for media coverage in priority outlets.
Drive process to validate media relation effort success through analysis and measurement of earned media results. Mentor and manage one direct report. Position requires travels up to 40%.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead efforts in planning and implementation of initiatives of the Ulta Beauty Beauty PR strategy including beauty editor engagement and a beauty-focused PR/external visibility strategy.
- Lead external communication support of corporate marketing initiatives including 21 Days of Beauty and Gorgeous Hair Event as well as planning public relations plans for priority brand launches.
- Lead public relations support of Ulta Beauty’s in-house brand, the Ulta Beauty Collection with the goal of elevating the brand and its portfolio of products within the beauty space.
- Develop and manage ideas for primary storylines and tier the appropriate media channels to reach prioritized Ulta Beauty audiences. Along with the director, develop and maintain relationships with key members of the beauty and beauty trade media.
- Interact with senior leaders to help prepare and manage media opportunities for which they serve as spokespersons including top executives like merchandising SVPs by proactively identifying opportunities to build company’s awareness and reputation by sharing our narrative as outlined in the corporate PR strategy.
- Cultivate relationships with a wide range of subject matter experts within the company and identify initiatives to promote news opportunities to pitch to media. Identify and coach subject matter experts to become spokespeople.
- Help manage external agency partners and serve as the primary day-to-day agency contact.
- Manage the creation and distribution approach of media materials; coordinate adaptation and implementation of campaigns throughout the organization.
- Create a process to effectively and quickly communicate PR results and activities to internal stakeholders.
- Serve as key partner to executive communications and merchandising teams, as work necessitates.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 6-10 years of public relations experience, preferably in a high growth beauty industry and/or corporate.
- Proven innovator and risk taker
- Demonstrated results in media relations
- Strong journalistic writing, presentation, analysis and negotiation skills.
- Advanced project management skills, including successful experience managing requirements gathering, prioritization, reporting and implementing of initiatives.
- Team player with a collaborative nature as well as developed leadership skills with diplomacy, assertiveness and confidence.
- Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive assignments simultaneously.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic and self-motivation.